Goldfish Questions Question

1. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post in a while!
    I have decided that I stock my 60g tank with goldfish. I was wondering which ones of these would work:
    A. 4 Regular Sized Goldfish
    B. 2 Regular Sized Goldfish, 2-3 Smaller Sized Goldfish
    My tank's dimensions are:
    L: 90cm
    H: 50cm
    D: 50cm
    My filtration is: 1 Tetra VX-300 Canister Filter, 1 Aquaclear 70 and 2 Sponge Filters rated for 200L aquariums.

I was also wondering if I can instant cycle my tank with the goldfish?

Thanks,

Darcy

2. Over It Well Known Member Member

You could do 4 "fancy" Goldfish in a 60 gal. Regular sized Goldfish will get way to big to live in a 60.
    Some of the smaller "fancy" types are Fantails, Ranchu, Oranda, Ryukin etc. Maybe do some research and see which ones you like.

Also what do you mean by "instant cycle"? Do already have used filter media from an established tank you can add to your filters?

3. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Sorry for the confusion!

When I say Regular Sized Goldfish, I was meaning Regular Sized FANCY Goldfish, like Orandas and Ryukins. And for the the smaller ones like Ranchus and Pearlscales! Sorry for the confusion!

Could both of those work in my tank with the dimensions?

Sorry! I always get the terms mixed up! I mean Fish- In cycle! Sorry! My head must be in another place! Could that work?

4. Over It Well Known Member Member

No worries! I honestly would still just stick with 4 so you don't have to do as many water changes and the fish should live very comfortably and happy.
    I've always heard and read that Fancies can live with other Fancies and the only ones you have to be careful with are the Telescope Eyes, Bubble Eyes and Celestial.
    I think you'd be fine to pick 4 different Fancies or 2 of each or however you wanna do it.

It would be best to cycle your tank before you get the fish, especially with Goldfish. If you don't you might be doing multiple water changes everyday to keep the fish safe.

If you could get some used filter media from someone with a healthy, established tank that would really get you started and depending on how big of a tank you get the media from you could actually do an "instant cycle" starting with just 1 or 2 Goldfish and then adding the others later once your cycle is well established.

5. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Thanks for your help!!
    Could I get some media from a trusted lfs? As in buy some sponge filters. Or do I try contacting a fish person? Does it matter if it comes from a tropical tank? Also should it have a heater, or will it be alright without one?

6. Over It Well Known Member Member

You're welcome!
    It could be kinda risky getting it from an LFS as they have many fish come through all the time, but if you know one who can guarantee their tanks and fish are disease free then that should be fine.
    You can also try contacting someone you know or even posting on Facebook or Craigslist and see if someone will give you some. I've given people used media from my filters before on Craigslist. I figured instead of tossing it, I might as well help someone else out since I was positive my tank and fish were completely healthy.
    It can be from a tropical or cold water tank. You shouldn't need a heater unless your house gets very cold during the winter.

7. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Ok thank you!

I will contact the only proper fish keeper I know in my area, but if that doesn't happen, I will post an ad! Thank you for your help!!

8. Over It Well Known Member Member

You're welcome! Good luck and share some pics once you have everything going. Goldfish are my absolute favorite and I always love seeing other peoples fish and setups!

9. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Thanks!

I'll try and get that media asap as I have already seen a goldfish I love!!!
    I will post pics when I set the tank up!
    Thank you so much for your help and quick replys!!

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4 fancy goldfish in a 55 is probably fine. I believe you can cycle the tank with them, yes.

11. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

4 fancies will do well in a 55g, I have a 65g and have 5 fancy goldfish , running 800gal/h filtration.

just some tips get yourself a good pellet food such as omega goldfish pellets ALWAYS pre soak the pellets in cup with aquarium water for a few mins then feed , goldfish need lots of veggies more then they need protein so atleast 2-3 times a week feed them boiled Veges such as brocoli, zucchini, carrots , spinach ect.. and I always recommend atleast once a week feed them boiled de shelled peas I think it's very important since fancies can easily get swim bladder disease ect.. also once a week brine shrimp or bloodworms

I love hearing about people getting into fancies because they are under rated but have great personalities and fun to watch , they'll recognise you and come to you.

also forgot to add keep the temp at 66-68f.

Good luck!!

12. Over It Well Known Member Member

All great info! I actually feed mine veggies almost everyday and they LOVE them! Just a little bit right now since they are still babies, but get them started right an you'll have some wonderful fish for many years.
    They really are underrated. My 2 Fantails are my absolute favorite fish ever! They know me, they come swimming as fast as they can to the front of the tank when I get close and they will eat out of my hand and have no fear of me whatsoever.
    They're smart too. They know when it's my hand in the tank or my daughters even though our hands aren't much different in size and they won't let her feed them yet, but they still like to come see her when she sits and watches them.

13. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Thank you for all of your help!!

I am now able to get some ceramic noodles from a fish keeper locally, so I can instant cycle! How should I go about getting the fish? Do I have the fish floating in the tank, get the media, and then start all the filters before the fish go in? Or is there another way? I have also got some Stability to help!

Should I need a heater in this tank?

Thanks

Darcy

14. Over It Well Known Member Member

You're welcome!
    That's great news! I would start your filters and then add the ceramic noodles. Make sure everything is going well and working right and then get the fish and slowly acclimate them to the tank. I usually do this by adding a little bit of the tank water to the bag they came in or adding them and the water they came with to a bucket. Just keep taking out a little bit of water from the bag/bucket and adding in a little more from your tank every 10-15 min. and then after about an hr. of doing that they should be ready to go into the tank!

I would make sure to get a test kit if you don't already have one. You'll need to test the water frequently and do water changes if the Ammonia or Nitrites get above 0 or the Nitrates get above 40.

You shouldn't need a heater unless it is very cold in your house. They do best at 68-70 degrees F but can tolerate lower and a bit higher temps fine.

15. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Ok! Thank you!

I will fill up the tank tonight and get it all started. Should I not turn the Aquaclear on until I get the media?
    When I do the acclimation method, I normally add small amounts of water every 3 minutes for an hour, and that has normally helped my guppies and other fish acclimate. I have a API freshwater master test kit, which is good! How often do I have to do water changes?

Thanks

Darcy

16. Over It Well Known Member Member

You can start the filter as soon as you get the water in the tank. That will make sure it's working well before you get the fish.

You can absolutely do your method for acclimation and it's great you already have a great test kit!

I can't say for sure how often you'll have to do water changes, but I would do at least one 50% a week or 2 25% water changes. You'll have to test the water to see for sure how often you'll have to do water changes.

Good luck and can't wait to see pics!

17. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Thank you for your help! Would there be a chance I could get one goldfish before I get the media, and then get another one when I get the media? I will be getting the media early Friday morning. I would be getting the fish Late tonight or early tomorrow? I would only want to do this so I could get the exact one that I fell in love with!! I can dose Stability and Prime if I need to. Could that work?

18. Over It Well Known Member Member

Yes it could work. You'll have to be on top of water testing and water changes though. You don't wanna stress them with Ammonia and Nitrite spikes. I would definitely use both the Prime and Stability if you get the one you really want before Friday. If you can't get that one, I would wait, but I know how it is when you just fall in love with that one fish. ;)

19. Aquarium Saturation Member Member

Cool , thank you!

I will go tonight to the store tonight to see if the fish I really want is there! If it isn't I will wait till Friday. If he is there, how should I go about doing it? I have to fill the tank tonight, and I may have him before I even start filling the tank! Could he go in a bucket of dechlorinated water while I am filling up the tank?

Thanks

Darcy

20. Over It Well Known Member Member

If you don't have any other option he can be put into a bucket with the water from his bag and some declorinated water and if you have one, add an airstone to the bucket. It should help keep him comfortable till you can get him in the tank.