Goldfish Question Question

1. M

MajinBoo New Member Member

When should I move these fellas to a bigger tank? Tank is a 30 gal. 20180623_133059.jpg 20180623_133244.jpg 20180623_133306.jpg

2. GoldFiska

GoldFiska Well Known Member Member

If it were me, I would do a tank upgrade as soon as possible.
    I understand that they are small but having pristine water quality is important for their health and growth, especially with younger fish. Go for a 50 gallon minimum.

3. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

I agree, move them as soon as you can. But I think 40 gallons would be the minimum, if you’re following the rule of 20 gallons for the first fancy and 10 for each additional. 50 would be better, of course!

I’d also recommend not moving the gravel along with them. When they get bigger they could easily swallow it.

They’re very cute, by the way. Are they all fantails?

4. GoldFiska

GoldFiska Well Known Member Member

This is definitely debatable but personally I believe the 20 gallon rule is outdated. Many fancies get 6+ inches and Im not sure if it's ethical to keep a 6 inch fish in a 20 gallon. I find that keeping the first goldfish in a 30 gallon and 10 for each additional is probably more practical, but that's just me.

5. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

You’re probably right. I’ve always had a 20 gallon long, and it’s much easier to picture a big goldfish in a long tank than a tall tank. Either way, I think they should be kept with other goldfish, and a bigger tank means more fishy friends!

6. OP
    OP
    M

MajinBoo New Member Member

I have a 40 gal (wide) for my guppies i was thinking of swapping tanks.. or maybe clear my 55 gal for these guys