Goldfish Quarantine Tank Questions

Rande

Hi, I have four new fancy goldfish in a quarantine tank. I got them a little over a week ago. They have been active and seemed healthy. Yesterday I noticed the two larger ones bottom sitting.. it's primarily the black oranda. I used a cycled filter and have been going 40-50% daily water changes with Seachem Stability. I've added stress coat twice. I've been adding one tbls of salt per 5 gallons. I have some MinnFinn ordered but haven't received it yet. I haven't noticed any white spots. There may be a slight white haze on the black oranda. Should I add pima and melafix or any other med ideas?

Is there anything else I should do? Does anyone have any experience with Minnfinn?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Attachments

• 20211031_090928.jpg
    20211031_090928.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211031_090942.jpg
    20211031_090942.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 10

Rande

Oh yes, 0-0-0 with 7.6 PH

WagglePets

Oh yes, 0-0-0 with 7.6 PH
Ah so your probably doing a fish in cycle they May be reacting to the ammonia so I would suggest getting a bottle(s) of seachem prime cause it detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 48 hours

Rande

I do have some prime that I will add. I'm confused as I thought this tank wouldn't cycle with a cycled filter and daily water changes?

What do you think about the white haze on the black oranda?

Are you familiar with Minnfinn? Thoughts?

It's odd to me that the small fancy goldfish (6 months old approx) seem fine.

After the testers have been sitting, I'm starting to see a bit of green emerging. So I'm thinking you're right about the ammonia.

Should I do a 40% and then add prime? Should I do anything else?

Attachments

• 16356915241528386544409174560641.jpg
    16356915241528386544409174560641.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 5

WagglePets

I’m sorry I can’t really help you with the oranda problem I’m not that smart LOL but I really wish you the best of luck and I’m not familiar with that brand also it still takes time for a tank to cycle even with cycled media/filters
And yes I would do a water change and add prime
jtjgg may be able to help they are very knowledgable with this kind of stuff especially goldfish
Sorry to volunteer you jtjgg lol

tike

In a fully cycled tank you should register some nitrate. Because your nitrate is 0 i say you are still in the cycling phase. This is what is causing the stress on the fish. Don't add any medication. Follow what ButtercuptheOranda stated and you should be fine.

Rande

Thanks for the help! I did a water change and added prime and see a slight improvement with fish doing a bit of swimming.

I'm certainly open to any additional thoughts.

Thanks Again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EmbersToAshes
Replies
Views
EmbersToAshes
  • Question
Replies
Views
newclassic1