Goldfish Preggy Or Tumor?

1. Can't Find Nemo

Can't Find Nemo Member Member

Noticed my smaller goldfish has a lump. Further reading says that goldfish get lumps on the side when they are preggy. Wanting some opinions on what one it is though.

Not the best imagesbut the best I could get.
    IMG_20180517_235005.jpg IMG_20180517_234943.jpg

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I can’t see the pics. Sometimes the female will bulge when she’s got eggs building up. If there’s a male in the tank, he’ll help her spawn. Have you been able to get a better pic of her? I know it’s not easy. They don’t exactly pose for us do they? Maybe a side pic and one from above? Thanks. :)

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

It will not be a lump on one side but a bulge across the body where the eggs reside (so if only one side is bulging it is not gravid, on another note your fish do not look large enough for them to start breeding).
    Get a picture from above, if you have to catch the fish and take pictures of the lump, a short handling period with damp hands will not hurt it.
    It likely is not gravid but is something like a tumor or cyst popping up.

4. OP
    OP
    Can't Find Nemo

Can't Find Nemo Member Member

A closer look revealed that whatever it is was gone, if there was anything. But I have also heard doing large water changes and it can cause a buildup of small bubbles. I need to get a bigger tank for them anyways so it's a good reminder.

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have a female moor that never looks any more swollen or filled with eggs. I just know when the males chase her to be ready. Once she lays the eggs, she still looks the same.