Goldfish - popeye?

lea1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I need a little advice. I have a 10 year old, large goldfish that has been happy and healthy (other than a few bumps caused by me) for many years. He is a comet. He is in a 40b tank and normal water changes have been 50% TWICE a week for many years. The past 6 months, I was not on top of them like I should have been. One day, I noticed his left eye had a whitish area on it (thought maybe a cataract). Then I noticed him acting weird, like he was afraid of me or something. When I finally looked closer from the top of the tank, I noticed that, that eye was huge/swollen/looked like a big bubble on around his eye. I realized why he was acting weird as I am positive his vision was distorted so how would a poor fish understand? Things and movements he was familiar with, had all become different.

After trying everyone I know who knows about fish (have disappeared I guess), I got some information on a site and emailed Seachem. I treated him with Kanaplex EXACTLY as directed (tx was every other day x 3 doses). I then used carbon in his filters for a week and changed the water before and after the treatment. I thought all was resolved. His personality is pretty much back to normal - STILL eats like a horse, vision seems better, tho not perfect (saw him run into his filter intake a couple of times, etc and I feed him peas and he used to always catch them on the way to the bottom and now he misses them frequently). The white part on his eye is much better but it is still there, and tonight I noticed it still looks big from above compared to the other eye (I can see it as he swims away from me). Sorry about the long, boring story - my question is, does it continue to slowly resolve with time? Should I do a second round of treatment with Kanaplex? Should I just keep up with water changes and monitor? Is it possible it was not popeye and he hurt it somehow in his tank (he lives alone). My understanding is that popeye would more than likely show up in BOTH eyes and if only one is affected, it is more than likely an injury? I absolutely cannot get a picture - I tried 100 times. Nothing critical here I guess, I just don't know what to do. I LOVE this fishy and want to do whatever I can. Any suggestions?

Thanx TONS,

lea

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
lea1 said:
Hi,

I need a little advice. I have a 10 year old, large goldfish that has been happy and healthy (other than a few bumps caused by me) for many years. He is a comet. He is in a 40b tank and normal water changes have been 50% TWICE a week for many years. The past 6 months, I was not on top of them like I should have been. One day, I noticed his left eye had a whitish area on it (thought maybe a cataract). Then I noticed him acting weird, like he was afraid of me or something. When I finally looked closer from the top of the tank, I noticed that, that eye was huge/swollen/looked like a big bubble on around his eye. I realized why he was acting weird as I am positive his vision was distorted so how would a poor fish understand? Things and movements he was familiar with, had all become different.

After trying everyone I know who knows about fish (have disappeared I guess), I got some information on a site and emailed Seachem. I treated him with Kanaplex EXACTLY as directed (tx was every other day x 3 doses). I then used carbon in his filters for a week and changed the water before and after the treatment. I thought all was resolved. His personality is pretty much back to normal - STILL eats like a horse, vision seems better, tho not perfect (saw him run into his filter intake a couple of times, etc and I feed him peas and he used to always catch them on the way to the bottom and now he misses them frequently). The white part on his eye is much better but it is still there, and tonight I noticed it still looks big from above compared to the other eye (I can see it as he swims away from me). Sorry about the long, boring story - my question is, does it continue to slowly resolve with time? Should I do a second round of treatment with Kanaplex? Should I just keep up with water changes and monitor? Is it possible it was not popeye and he hurt it somehow in his tank (he lives alone). My understanding is that popeye would more than likely show up in BOTH eyes and if only one is affected, it is more than likely an injury? I absolutely cannot get a picture - I tried 100 times. Nothing critical here I guess, I just don't know what to do. I LOVE this fishy and want to do whatever I can. Any suggestions?

Thanx TONS,

lea
Would you mind posting a picture so we can see what his eyes look like? Could also list your water parameters and what you feed him?

New Threads