Goldfish Popeye - Whether to Treat with Antibiotics

jchen9827
Hi everyone,

It would be great if anyone have any thoughts on goldfish popeye treatment with antibiotics.

Since a week ago, my goldfish has popeye, as shown by both eyes protruding slightly and each having a small cloudy spot that indicates damage to the cornea. It also has constipation and likely swim bladder disease for 7 weeks (it's a sinker and lies upside-down). I have conducted frequent water changes since 7 weeks ago (readings for free ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH were fine) and started daily epsom dips for the last few days.

Chronically poor water conditions due to infrequent water changes, unfortunately, is probably one of the causes of my goldfish's popeye, which has been corrected since 7 weeks ago. A possible cause is bacterial: from this article, swim bladder disease with popeye is possibly a sign of a bacterial infection. Other possible causes include possible supersaturation of water with nitrogen due to my hang-on filter sucking air, which I fixed yesterday, and my goldfish's eyes possibly scratching against the bare bottom floor of the aquarium when it tries to reorient itself.

Given that its popeye is likely caused by chronically poor water conditions and only possibly by a bacterial infection, should I should start treatment with antibiotics?

Thank you so much!

Advertisement
NevermindIgnoreMe
Hi everyone,

It would be great if anyone have any thoughts on goldfish popeye treatment with antibiotics.

Since a week ago, my goldfish has popeye, as shown by both eyes protruding slightly and each having a small cloudy spot that indicates damage to the cornea. It also has constipation and likely swim bladder disease for 7 weeks (it's a sinker and lies upside-down). I have conducted frequent water changes since 7 weeks ago (readings for free ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH were fine) and started daily epsom dips for the last few days.

Chronically poor water conditions due to infrequent water changes, unfortunately, is probably one of the causes of my goldfish's popeye, which has been corrected since 7 weeks ago. A possible cause is bacterial: from this article, swim bladder disease with popeye is possibly a sign of a bacterial infection. Other possible causes include possible supersaturation of water with nitrogen due to my hang-on filter sucking air, which I fixed yesterday, and my goldfish's eyes possibly scratching against the bare bottom floor of the aquarium when it tries to reorient itself.

Given that its popeye is likely caused by chronically poor water conditions and only possibly by a bacterial infection, should I should start treatment with antibiotics?

Thank you so much!
Have you tried anything else first? You may want to start with a 0.3% salt concentration treatment.

Advertisement
jchen9827
Thank you for your reply, NevermindIgnoreMe ! For the last week, I have not done anything other than 15% water changes every other day and daily epsom salt dips originally intended to treat swim bladder disease (1 tbsp/gallon for 15 min). To clarify, is the .3% treatment done with epsom salts in the main tank (I have only one fish in it)? Additionally, is .3% the same as 3 g/L or 0.4 oz/gal? Thank you so much!

jtjgg
a salt bath is with aquarium salt, pure salt, not table salt that has other stuff in it.

SBD can also be caused by internal infections. you could try a combo of Kanaplex and Metroplex.

jchen9827
Thank you so much, jtjgg !

While I know that adding aquarium salt is an important part of palliative care for popeye, I have also read that it makes SBD worse. Thus, is it beneficial overall to add it? If that seems to be beneficial, I have two more questions: Is the salt added directly into the tank? If so, how long should it stay before I remove it via lots of water changes?

Also, would adding epsom salt to the tank work as another popeye treatment? This comes from my interpretation of the Fishlore popeye article: "Epsom salts have been used with good results to draw the fluid out. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for at least three days. Longer if necessary".

While I have a lot of questions, I would appreciate it if anyone can kindly answer any of them.

jtjgg
sorry, i've never used salt before.

NevermindIgnoreMe
Thank you so much, jtjgg !

While I know that adding aquarium salt is an important part of palliative care for popeye, I have also read that it makes SBD worse. Thus, is it beneficial overall to add it? If that seems to be beneficial, I have two more questions: Is the salt added directly into the tank? If so, how long should it stay before I remove it via lots of water changes?

Also, would adding epsom salt to the tank work as another popeye treatment? This comes from my interpretation of the Fishlore popeye article: "Epsom salts have been used with good results to draw the fluid out. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water for at least three days. Longer if necessary".

While I have a lot of questions, I would appreciate it if anyone can kindly answer any of them.
AvalancheDave

To my understanding, (normal) salt helps assist in proper balance of fluids, but I use Epsom salt sometimes as well. I did mean normal salt the first time. The dosage (0.3%) is about 7.5 tablespoons per ten gallons. Dissolve it completely and add to the tank (this takes a while). To make this easier you can microwave tank water to warm it up before you add the salt. Then pour into the tank.
Note: It does not evaporate. Water changes are the only way to take it out. Also, you may want to lower the dosage a bit, it's fine if you feel that's necessary or your fish is too weak for the salt dose. I just usually recommend 0.3% as it's a normal treatment dosage for a variety of issues.

jchen9827
Thank you for your clear explanation, NevermindIgnoreMe and thank you anyways, jtjgg ! I will consider the aquarium salt treatment.

jchen9827

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jchen9827
Replies
Views
mereblue
Replies
Views
Catieandfred
Replies