Goldfish popeye and lethargic

CR45

Hi, I have an approximately 15 year old comet goldfish that’s been having some issues with lethargy and pop eye and am looking for some advise.

He’s had what looks like pop eye in right eye for a few months now which does not seem to be improving. Over this time he has become more lethargic and rests on the bottom of the tank a lot typically hiding behind one of the plants. I’ve also noticed he periodically gets red streaks in his tail and sometimes red “sores” - I did think this was either ammonia burns or haemorrhagic septicaemia but ammonia readings are okay and I would have though septicaemia would be fatal by now?? His tail has also now fully turned white (previously white and orange).

Tank parameters (api test kit):
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40ppm (seems to fluctuate between 40-80, tapwater around this range too)

Currently in a 72 litre tank that has been set up about 4/5 years. I realise this is small for a comet goldfish but previously he was in a much smaller tank (sadly down to my previous lack of knowledge) and so is stunted unfortunately.

Last water change 2 days ago, changed 50%. Used fluval water conditioner. Typically try to do 25-50%change weekly but more at the moment due to fish Illness depending on meds timings

Ciano CF80 filter (Also had elite stingray 15 filter until started medicating tank and needed to separate snails!). Also have a tetra air pump

Single comet goldfish kept with 2 nerite snails

No changes to the tank recently apart from adding live plants about 6-12 months ago.

Fed tetra goldfish flakes once daily. Did try switching to pellet type food 12 months ago but fish did not get on with it.

Treatments already started:
- Melafix (2 week course but mistakenly left in carbon filter!)
- interpet anti-internal bacteria (on day 8 of treatment)
- nt labs tonic salt (started 2 days ago)
- tetra nitrate minus (started yesterday)

Based in uk so no access to overcounter antibiotics as far as I am aware

Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 76163DBB-4FE5-46EA-826B-A66EEDE8911D.jpeg
    76163DBB-4FE5-46EA-826B-A66EEDE8911D.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 9EB5FEDA-408A-4856-A998-92861B2C3761.jpeg
    9EB5FEDA-408A-4856-A998-92861B2C3761.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 4

jtjgg

the main issue is the high nitrate in the tap water. in my experience goldfish do not like to be in water with nitrate higher than 20ppm.

it would seem he has an internal bacterial infection popeye and red sores. without Kanaplex or other antibiotics, i'm not sure what else you can do :(

CR45

the main issue is the high nitrate in the tap water. in my experience goldfish do not like to be in water with nitrate higher than 20ppm.

it would seem he has an internal bacterial infection popeye and red sores. without Kanaplex or other antibiotics, i'm not sure what else you can do :(
Thanks for the reply. I agree the nitrates are way too high. Any advise on what I can do to bring it down other than the tetra nitrate minus I am already starting? Obviously water changes aren’t really going to help?
For reference this is my tap water nitrate test from today :(

Attachments

• 6C1A83B3-4219-4CF3-AFF4-235B14D1B23E.jpeg
    6C1A83B3-4219-4CF3-AFF4-235B14D1B23E.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 3

jtjgg

you could look into a thicker/deeper substrate to build up anaerobic bacteria to consume the nitrate. Is 5 inches of sand substrate too deep? | Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand Forum | 515261

add a bunch of plants to feed off the nitrate. some floating plants like duckweed, water lettuce, red root floater, frogbit, etc.

grow an algae wall. 75 Gallon Tank - I've Done It, Perfect Cycle | Cleaning and Maintenance Forum | 403644

nitrazorb has about 90% positive reviews on many website.

nitrasafe (probably the same or very similar stuff to nitrazorb) My Nitrate Lowering Water Aging Barrel | Aquarium Water Forum | 297237

RO system.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jchen9827
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Seasoldier
Replies