Goldfish Pond?

mmercier

Hey there everyone!

For my senior project I'm considering building a pond in my backyard. I live in an area that often gets above 100 in the summer and stays pretty well below freezing in the winter with plenty of ice and snow. I was wondering what kind of goldfish are suitable for this kind of enviroment so I can have some sort of stocking idea as I design the pond. I like koi, but goldfish just seem like more fun! Let me know what you think, thanks!

AcornTheBetta

Hey there everyone!

For my senior project I'm considering building a pond in my backyard. I live in an area that often gets above 100 in the summer and stays pretty well below freezing in the winter with plenty of ice and snow. I was wondering what kind of goldfish are suitable for this kind of enviroment so I can have some sort of stocking idea as I design the pond. I like koi, but goldfish just seem like more fun! Let me know what you think, thanks!
You could buy a pond chiller for the summer and a heater for the winter. Make sure that the pond is 3+ feet deep so it doesn't freeze through and keep the water moving to keep it from freezing.

SnookusFish

Common goldfish and shubunkin goldfish can survive a wide range of temps but definitely try to keep it down during winter

AcornTheBetta

Common goldfish and shubunkin goldfish can survive a wide range of temps but definitely try to keep it down during winter
Lol I forgot to suggest types of goldfish. Yeah what SnookusFish said

mmercier

You could buy a pond chiller for the summer and a heater for the winter. Make sure that the pond is 3+ feet deep so it doesn't freeze through and keep the water moving to keep it from freezing.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Malibu

Use a black rubber liner in your pond but don't ever put stones or gravel in the bottom or you will never be able to clean it out. Keep the pond about 200mm above ground level so all the leaves don't blow in and keep water level about 200mm from top of pond so your fish can't jump out. I breed Japanese Koi and only your best and most expensive fish jump out!!

mmercier

Use a black rubber liner in your pond but don't ever put stones or gravel in the bottom or you will never be able to clean it out. Keep the pond about 200mm above ground level so all the leaves don't blow in and keep water level about 200mm from top of pond so your fish can't jump out. I breed Japanese Koi and only your best and most expensive fish jump out!!
Haha! Thanks for the advice!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • EdmGuppyGal
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
EdmGuppyGal
  • fishpersonallday
  • Ponds
Replies
Views