Goldfish Pond

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay so on the weekend I'm sending off a proposal to the council about getting permission to build a goldfish pond at our community garden. I want to put my goldfish, rescues and pest goldfish in it.

This is because we have a native wetland at our community garden, though every year it is overrun with pet goldfish. They scoop them all out and 'neutralise' them at the end of each year.

My plan is instead of life being wasted, I build a community pond for the fish that would otherwise be killed.

It would also put a stop to people dumping their goldfish in the wetlands and instead bring them to me. They would have to pass a quarantine phase though.

The pond would be really big (1000+ gallons) so that I can take in as many goldfish as possible.

I'll keep you all updated. I just really wanted to share because I'm very excited!

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
Awesome!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!
Thanks! I suspect the shell and finish of the pond will be done in mid 2019 or later, assuming I get permission.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's admirable, but keep in mind that goldfish require 50 gallons per fish. 1000 gallons is going to be at capacity in short order. Even before they start to spawn.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maggie thecat said:
That's admirable, but keep in mind that goldfish require 50 gallons per fish. 1000 gallons is going to be at capacity in short order. Even before they start to spawn.
Considering most of the fish I'm getting are fantails, it will be only 35 for the first one, 25 fore each subsequent one. 75 per common.

I also mentioned that it would be 1000 gallons or more, so 1000 is really the bare minimum.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom