Goldfish Pond. 55 Gallon Tank

1. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Well... my mother brought home 3 comet (they were labeled comets anyways) goldfish today. She said she wanted them in the pond. Of course they add bleach in the pond, I had to flip it over and scrub it all out with vinegar and rinse a billion times. Once I got that done, I built a filter with the pump. Basically attached the output of the pump to a Tupperware , with filterfloss and carbon/zeolite mix. Then attached the hose to the output of the Tupperware. Duct taped it a billion times and bam, a filter. I was pretty proud of myself. Added some sand and a couple river rocks. Floated the fish, added them. I have soilent green in my freezer and i assume I can feed them that. I used math outside of school for the first time in forever and I calculated its about 51-55 gallons. Should I do once weekly water changes? How often should I feed them?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm starting to think they are commons. Maybe a hybrid?

2. fishingdeep Member Member

Comets will do fine since you love them and take care of them . Please don't add any fancy goldfish to the mix. Your tank is not made for that.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Very cute little pond. Not large enough for long term, but fine for now. You'll see just how quickly they can grow in time.

I feed my ponds a few times a week, and do water changes a few times a year. Granted, my ponds are three times as large, and it's either raining or too cold for the goldfish to eat, so water changes do themselves or aren't needed most of the time. I also have lots of plants.

Once they get a bit larger, you'll want closer to 100 gallons to keep them comfortably and keep the pond low maintenance. With this size pond, you'll want to treat it like a tank and do regular water changes.

4. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I wish she would have let me do the research... is there a Goldie or other pond fish that will be able to stay in this pond long term? My parents always talk about a bigger pond but they're quite the procrastinators..

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You may like rosy minnows. They get a good size of about 4-5 inches, but aren't large waste producers. I also keep mollies in my pond, and have kept endlers and guppies out there as well.

6. Frostytrollwithfish Initiate Member

I'd say in that pond, one common/comet Goldie would do fine for quite a while, but only one. Seeing as goldfish are social creatures and certainly love company, you'll need something bigger for all three. For your current situation, do weekly water changes in the 30-40% range, and go buy some plants. If you want something that will just float on top and grow quickly, hornwort is your best bet. I bought one tiny six inch strand of it five years ago and have hundreds of feet of the stuff now. It acts as a great place for Goldie's to hide, great extra nutrient absorption, and it's hardy enough that the ravenous goldfish won't be able to tear it up. It's a great beginners plant. Just remember not to add any salt (I don't see why you would at this point) because the hornwort will shed it's needles and make a mess. Anyways, that's my suggestion. It's available at most every LFS.

Die ball ist rund. Die spiel dauert... Mann kann hier denken.