Goldfish Pond Questions

Cakey

Hi! I have a couple of questions about goldfish ponds. There are a lot of different sources saying a lot of different things so I thought I'd ask.
First, how deep does a pond need to be for comet goldfish and how deep for koi?
How do you winter a pond and how deep does it need to be to winter?
How can you keep raccoons and other animals from eating your goldfish? Would depth alone be enough to keep them safe or would you need a guard of some sort over top of the pond.
How wide should it be and how many goldfish would you get for how big of a pond? Like 1 for 150g?
I'm very confused about keeping them and any help would be appreciated!

Coradee

Bumping this up for you

CindiL

Hi! I have a couple of questions about goldfish ponds. There are a lot of different sources saying a lot of different things so I thought I'd ask.
First, how deep does a pond need to be for comet goldfish and how deep for koi?
How do you winter a pond and how deep does it need to be to winter?
How can you keep raccoons and other animals from eating your goldfish? Would depth alone be enough to keep them safe or would you need a guard of some sort over top of the pond.
How wide should it be and how many goldfish would you get for how big of a pond? Like 1 for 150g?
I'm very confused about keeping them and any help would be appreciated!

Hi, I'd say about 2 feet deep for goldfish, not sure for koi.
I use a pond de-icer. This is my first winter but so far so good! My pond, even when it got down to negative 10 was at 34 degrees near the top where its coldest. If you're not using a pond de-icer you'd want a deeper pond, I would think 4 feet but again this would depend on where you live.
I have 5 commons in my 165 patio pond and I feel that's about the most I should have since they will get to be 8-12 inches most likely. Its not square but I'd guess it to be 4 feet by 4 feet.
They make mesh you can put over the top to keep predators away, or animal deterrents that spray water and so on.
I keep fake floating plants on the top to help with that and a large sunken planter to hide in.
Horizontal room is more important than vertical for goldfish.
I have a tetra pump with fountain attachments and filter that has worked well.

BottomDweller

I think 2 feet is minimum depth for goldfish and I think koi need about 3-4 feet but there is conflicting info about this.
To keep fish healthy overwinter just make sure the pond is deep enough and break ice on the pond each day so that they can breathe.
I have really strong metal mesh over mine that can't be bent. It's not pretty but it does the job. I also have lily pads that they can hide under.
It should be wide enough for them to turn around comfortably when they are fully grown but length is more important. Stocking goldies in ponds is the same as stocking them in a tank. Probably about 1 single tail goldfish per 50 gallons or 1 fancy per 20 gallons but you could have a few more or less, I'm not great at stocking. As with tanks understocking is best and easiest.

CindiL

I think 2 feet is minimum depth for goldfish and I think koi need about 3-4 feet but there is conflicting info about this.
To keep fish healthy overwinter just make sure the pond is deep enough and break ice on the pond each day so that they can breathe.
I have really strong metal mesh over mine that can't be bent. It's not pretty but it does the job. I also have lily pads that they can hide under.
It should be wide enough for them to turn around comfortably when they are fully grown but length is more important. Stocking goldies in ponds is the same as stocking them in a tank. Probably about 1 single tail goldfish per 50 gallons or 1 fancy per 20 gallons but you could have a few more or less, I'm not great at stocking. As with tanks understocking is best and easiest.

Good points! except you're actually not supposed to break ice with goldfish in the pond as the shock can kill them, you're supposed to use hot water and melt it. Or better yet just keep a pond de-icer floating to keep an open spot.

Cakey

Ok thanks! Lots of good information I can trust here. I'm just worried using other forums xP. I feel like this is the only good one.

CindiL

Ok thanks! Lots of good information I can trust here. I'm just worried using other forums xP. I feel like this is the only good one.

Just hang out here, who needs other forums lol. Are you getting vastly different advice?
Let me know if you want any links to either the de-icer or the pump/fountain and filter.

Cakey

I was getting sort of the same advice. But I heard that some goldfish get hurt from to deep of water. And in other places I've seen that they won't be bother by it. I just wanted to ask on here to be sure. I don't have a pond yet I was just wanting to know so when I do get one I'll know what to do! Thanks so much for your help!

BottomDweller

Good points! except you're actually not supposed to break ice with goldfish in the pond as the shock can kill them, you're supposed to use hot water and melt it. Or better yet just keep a pond de-icer floating to keep an open spot.
I'm glad you brought that up. I know that breaking ice is not good. I iust meant make sure there is a gap in the ice. I use a couple of ping pong ball type things that float on the suface to stop the ice covering the surface.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
davis
Replies
Views