Goldfish/Pleco water temp

ymmot711

Hey guys, it’s been a while since my genocide of my goldfish cycle, everything is going good now but i’m trying to figure out the perfect temperature for my tank. I had 3 goldfish and about 4 snails in my 50gal tank. the snails would last about 2/3 months then would slowly die and the goldfish could eat the carcasses. I had a little algae bloom on the glass and rocks in the tank and I do frequent water changes, the snails usually took care of this but it’s an inconvenience to keep buying them especially when the stores near me only get them one time a month and they’re super small. I decided to get two little plecos that need a tank size of 29 gallons minimum according to the chart. i’ve had them previously and they always died in the first few days because the water was cold for them. the water used to be at 72 for my goldfish since the tank would generally heat itself to that temperature from the house being 72 in the summer, but decided to raise the temperature slowly to 75 and then got the plecos. they’re doing fine and eating everything in sight but I want to know what y’all think the middle range should be for both. I know plecos like it warm and goldfish like it cold. any tips would be appreciated. also my goldfish haven’t really grown at all and they get fed twice a day and water changes all the time, minimum once a week about 30% and two times at about 20% when I can get around to it.

BigManAquatics

Most sites usually have a lot of plecos listed at a temp range of 60 or 65-80. My guess the temp isn't what killed them.

jtjgg

goldfish are temperate and do very well in very warm water. most fancy goldfish are bred and raised in outdoor ponds in the tropics, like Thailand, Philippines, Florida, Brazil, etc.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PennineAcute
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views