Goldfish Or Community Tank?

1. S

SilverStar Valued Member Member

I recently got a used 75 gallon off craigslist, and I am looking to get it up and running. However, I don't know what I want to put in it. I will be doing more research on any fish decided on, but I want to get a general idea of what I could do in the tank first.

Right now, I'm looking at doing either 3-4 fantail goldfish or a community with a couple schools of fish. I really like the tetras, danios and livebearers. What would be some of the pros and cons of each stocking option? Which would you guys prefer?

The tank has two, what I believe to be, Marineland penguin bio-wheel 350 filters.

2. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Well Known Member Member

I would do a community tank. You have a lot more options for stocking, you can get multiple kinds of fish, you can add plants which goldfish would tear apart.

3. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Personally, I would do a goldfish community. 2-3 goldies, zebra danios, and some smaller plecos would look pretty good in my opinion!

4. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I have both and in the larger tanks I vote goldfish. They have so much more personality and love attention. They actually become pets, not just fish. I have a tropical tank which is rather boring. If I had it to do all over again, I would just have goldies and bettas! Note: I have 7 tanks plus a pond. Only one has platies, neon tetras, and guppies. The rest are filled with betas and goldfish. You do have to be willing to do weekly cleaning with Goldieā€™s though. You really should with most tanks anyway. Be sure to buy a Python suction vac to clean with. Makes it easy peasy.

5. OP
    OP
    S

SilverStar Valued Member Member

Thank you all! I will look more into fantail goldfish and learn more about them before deciding for sure, but I appreciate all the input!