Goldfish Or Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SilverStar, Oct 12, 2018.

1. SilverStarValued MemberMember

I recently got a used 75 gallon off craigslist, and I am looking to get it up and running. However, I don't know what I want to put in it. I will be doing more research on any fish decided on, but I want to get a general idea of what I could do in the tank first.

Right now, I'm looking at doing either 3-4 fantail goldfish or a community with a couple schools of fish. I really like the tetras, danios and livebearers. What would be some of the pros and cons of each stocking option? Which would you guys prefer?

The tank has two, what I believe to be, Marineland penguin bio-wheel 350 filters.

2. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I would do a community tank. You have a lot more options for stocking, you can get multiple kinds of fish, you can add plants which goldfish would tear apart.

3. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Personally, I would do a goldfish community. 2-3 goldies, zebra danios, and some smaller plecos would look pretty good in my opinion!

4. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I have both and in the larger tanks I vote goldfish. They have so much more personality and love attention. They actually become pets, not just fish. I have a tropical tank which is rather boring. If I had it to do all over again, I would just have goldies and bettas! Note: I have 7 tanks plus a pond. Only one has platies, neon tetras, and guppies. The rest are filled with betas and goldfish. You do have to be willing to do weekly cleaning with Goldieā€™s though. You really should with most tanks anyway. Be sure to buy a Python suction vac to clean with. Makes it easy peasy.

5. OP
    OP
    S

SilverStarValued MemberMember

Thank you all! I will look more into fantail goldfish and learn more about them before deciding for sure, but I appreciate all the input!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice