20 Gallon Tank Goldfish not moving much

ButtercuptheOranda

So buttercup my oranda hasn’t really moved out of the corner on the ground for a few hours she occasionally swims back and forth but she sometimes touches the ground with her belly is she ok or am I over reacting update she’s swimming around a little more but still doing little belly drags
water parameters are
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate around 30-40
im doing a wc tomorrow
Oh and she’s been having little floating poops and she never has floating poop
And there’s not much poop I can see

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 23

jtjgg

bottom sitting for long periods of time isn't a good sign. neither is floating poop.

any other changes in behavior or physical looks?

is she still interested in food?

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

bottom sitting for long periods of time isn't a good sign. neither is floating poop.

Yes now she’s not immobile 100% of the time just most of the time and I will say the temperature in the tank is going from 76 during the day to 74 at night maybe it’s just me being paranoid but her belly looks a tiny bit bigger than usual

i don’t have peas currently but should I focus on feeding spinach,broccoli and cucumber? Sorry I don’t know how to handle this situation
I meant yes she’s eating
Sorry one more thing I don’t know if this is normal but she does his wiggle thing where she presses her head against one of the corners of the tank and moves her body back and forth
One more thing sorry lol I have Java fern and she has been tearing off chunks of leaves but I haven’t seen her eat them only spit them out there all over the tank

Upvote 0

jtjgg

unfortunately, i don't know what is wrong.

i would say do more frequent water changes to keep the nitrates less than 20ppm.

did you treat for parasites when you first got her?

is she still eating aggressively like before? or just eating a little bit? you can alternate pellet food and veggies.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

unfortunately, i don't know what is wrong.

i would say do more frequent water changes to keep the nitrates less than 20ppm.

did you treat for parasites when you first got her?

is she still eating aggressively like before? or just eating a little bit? you can alternate pellet food and veggies.
She’s still eating aggressively and today I found a huge white clear poop but it could of been from my baby pleco and from feeding a piece of cucumber i didn’t treat her for parasites should I? And if yes aren’t plecos sensitive to medicines?
I promise the water isn’t this dirty it’s very clear the sponge filter is just dirty and the glass is a little dirty

Attachments

• 6B6205FD-49AD-42B4-8A6E-D501632C7904.png
    6B6205FD-49AD-42B4-8A6E-D501632C7904.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • A6DFCD08-45DB-48C6-B628-523CC56775A5.png
    A6DFCD08-45DB-48C6-B628-523CC56775A5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Sc0rPs

Sounds to me like your goldie has caught something, and the pea feeding is always a good start. The window surfing may be he/she is trying to find a way out, may be because simply ill or something in the water outside of the normal checks.

My go to safe option is starting with some aquarium salt, I am unsure of how well plecos can tolerate aquarium salt - I usually remove the sick fish into a hospital tank for treatment. 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons and snag some frozen peas for easy feeding. You probably know but just in case, grab a pea rinsing in warm water which makes the outer skin very easy to remove. Break the insides into bit size and continue for 5 - 7 days. Also as a reminder, when water changing you also need to replace only the equivalent amount of newly treated water. So if 3 gallons you need to also put in 1 tablespoon.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Since plecos don't have scales they're quite sensitive to salt, it's bad to use salt unless you really have to anyway because change in salt levels stresses out fish a lot. Stick to peas and other veggies, no heavy protein or carb food like brine shrimp or pellets until she gets better.

If you have an aquarium heater on hand, turn up the thermostat to 76-77F for a couple of days as well.

If it continues you can do epsom salt (as distinct from aquarium salt) dips - 1 tablespoon per gallon for no more than 30 minutes. Then put her back in the tank. This should be a last resort cos it's quite stressful.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Thank you guys so much I put my pleco in my 10 g (of course temporarily) so I’m going to add aquarium salt
And do epsom salt baths
Or is that too much salt?
I also have metro and kanaplex
By the way I haven’t seen anymore of those weird long poops only normal ones or floating ones

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Migitney12
  • Question
  • zeezMOG
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
EdmGuppyGal