Goldfish Not Looking So Good

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a white ranchu that I have owned for the last year. He's never been the most active or imposing type of fish, but he's done well enough. Though I grew worried because he rarely moved from his corner of the tank. I figured it was likely because he was all alone, no other signs pointed to sickness, disease, or poor water conditions. So I got a new ranchu, one that is much more upbeat in personality.

After the mandatory quarantine period (3 weeks) w/ PraziPro, I put him in the new tank. After a day or so, the little white ranchu perked up and starting hanging out with the new guy. But I noticed that the white one is less likely to get to their food first, if at all. Today I noticed he has some red coloring near the gills (which may only be noticeable because of the white color?) and his fins have small, dark edges (but no signs of fraying or rotting)

If anyone has any answers or suggestions for me, I would REALLY appreciate it! I'm not sure what to do for him or what could be wrong.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
75g Discus Tank said:
He's not looking too good in this photo, but he's moved since then...

The tank size is 35 gallons
Temperature is about 75-80F
I haven't checked conditions in a while, but I have been keeping up with partial (30%) water changes each week and doing so has keep the conditions pretty normal.
So last I checked:
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0-2 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

I'll try to test the water again today, but it will be difficult considering it's Mother's Day and I'm entertaining family...

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your tank isn’t cycled yet. You need to get that taken care of.

Also, try to turn the temp down to 72 degrees.

The image isn’t working for me. Can you try another pic?

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
75g Discus Tank said:

What do you mean it isn't cycled? It's not a new tank, I've had it running for over 2 years.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m afraid that I have to agree with 75G Discus. If it was cycled, it looks like you lost your cycle. Is your nitrite o or 2ppm? With goldfish, you should always be showing some nitrates unless you just completed a huge water change. I’d advise getting some Prime in there ASAP if you aren’t using it. Then check your water Parameters daily until you get 0, ammonia, o nitrites, and at least 5 nitrates.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Goldiemom said:
I’m afraid that I have to agree with 75G Discus. If it was cycled, it looks like you lost your cycle. Is your nitrite o or 2ppm? With goldfish, you should always be showing some nitrates unless you just completed a huge water change. I’d advise getting some Prime in there ASAP if you aren’t using it. Then check your water Parameters daily until you get 0, ammonia, o nitrites, and at least 5 nitrates.
Could someone please explain what you mean by it needing to be cycled? I've had it going for years with plants and I've only been having problems with the single fish, not the other one.

I performed another test and everything is pretty much the same except Nitrates are 5 ppm.

I also added some ice cubes and turned down the heater to bring the temperature down. It has gone from 79 or so to about 76, and hopefully will drop further down.

Goldiemom said:
I only have PraziPro, Fluval, Epsom salts, and Ammo Lock. But I doubt any of those could help him. Would you suggest I get some Prime? Where can I buy it?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any local fish store should have it. It will de-toxify the nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites until the tank gets cycled. That way, your fish won’t be poisoned. Use it daily when you do water changes. You can add some Seachem Stability also to put some beneficial bacteria back into the tank until it gets cycled. That will help jump start the cycle again. Keep us posted! The fish will be fine with the Prime in there.

If nitrates are 5, you may be cycled. Please read about the nitrogen cycle under Freshwater Beginner section under Fish Forum Topics. It will be in yellow.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Goldiemom said:
If nitrates are 5, you may be cycled. Please read about the nitrogen cycle under Freshwater Beginner section under Fish Forum Topics. It will be in yellow.
So I just say him drifting along at the top of the tank. He moved back down below, but I'm really concerned. Should I move him to a quarantine tank? Maybe add some PraziPro? I'm not sure, again, I have two fish and only one is having the problem. And as I stated before, I'm unsure if he's getting enough food as he's always been more skittish than the other one.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Discus-Tang said:
Wait, why is there a heater??
To prevent the tank from getting cold in the winter. Considering I'm still experiencing very cold days, the heater maintains the proper 70 degrees or so. Before installing the heater, it would often fall to 50 degrees

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GoggleHat said:
To prevent the tank from getting cold in the winter. Considering I'm still experiencing very cold days, the heater maintains the proper 70 degrees or so. Before installing the heater, it would often fall to 50 degrees
I see.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Discus-Tang said:
...You wouldn't happen to have any helpful advice here, would you?

75g Discus Tank said:

Do you still have any advice that could help here?

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Just WCs constantly. This will make the water safe for the fish.

25% daily should be good.
Do that until the fish seems okay? Or are you saying do it every day all the time, because that doesn't sound right for a 35 gallon tank with two fish, several plants, and a filter. Wouldn't it eventually eliminate nitrates completely?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
GoggleHat said:
Do that until the fish seems okay? Or are you saying do it every day all the time, because that doesn't sound right for a 35 gallon tank with two fish, several plants, and a filter. Wouldn't it eventually eliminate nitrates completely?
You need to do daily WCs until you don't have nitrites anymore and you have some nitrates.

You could do it every other day though.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
75g Discus Tank said:
You need to do daily WCs until you don't have nitrites anymore and you have some nitrates.

You could do it every other day though.
I have no nitrites right now. I don't believe I've ever had them in this tank.

Seriously, I really need some advice. Again, this is a problem with a single fish, all water conditions are ideal and the other fish is perfectly fine. The weaker fish has red around the gills and fins with dark edges. It also isn't moving as much as the other one and earlier today was floating around the water's surface.

I'm sorry, but I'm really worried and frustrated, and I'm not receiving any advice to what I should do now. Should I quarantine it or not?

My last thread now seems to be ignored... My small, white ranchu is acting weakly, whereas my other ranchu in the same tank is fine. The white one has red around the gills and dark edges to its fins, neither did it have before.

The tank temperature is 75 F
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
PH - 6.0

Here is the image (I had to use a hosting site which for some reason won't work here):
https://image.ibb.co/c6YerJ/20180513_144736.jpg

Seriously, I am very worried, I don't want to lose this fish, I've had it for over a year

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I replied to your other thread earlier. So have others. Please, try to keep your threads together as it gets very confusing. I understand you are worried but we are here to help. You don’t seem to want to accept the advice that has been offered. Starting another thread is only going to get people frustrated and we will give up on trying to help.

You keep asking for advice but your not taking any that is offered.

GoggleHat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Goldiemom said:
I replied to your other thread earlier. So have others. Please, try to keep your threads together as it gets very confusing. I understand you are worried but we are here to help. You don’t seem to want to accept the advice that has been offered. Starting another thread is only going to get people frustrated and we will give up on trying to help.
What do you mean? I already responded to each person in the last thread, no one offered an actual solution except for you about the Prime. No one answered my followup questions either.

Goldiemom said:
You keep asking for advice but your not taking any that is offered.
Again, no one has given me answers and all the advice has been regarding tank conditions which I have confirmed have no problem. Conditions are fine, it doesn't need to be cycled, temperature is fine, the other fish is fine, it just the one fish that has problems and I'm scared because I really care about it .I keep asking about the quarantine, no one has responded.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A cycled tank means that ammonia has been converted to nitrites, which has been converted to nitrates, which is then removed by water changes. Having any sign of ammonia or nitrite can be dangerous if not lethal in higher doses. When you added the second goldfish, you added too much ammonia that your cycle couldn’t process it fast enough and your nitrites built up. By doing water changes you can lower it to a much safer point.

That’s what it sounds like to me, is either ammonia or nitrite poising from an tank that is not fully cycled. Quarantining won’t help if you don’t have another cycled filter. Prime detoxifies ammonia (and I’m pretty sure nitrite) as well as any chlorine in tap water. That and water changes are your best bet untill your cycle can catch up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom