Goldfish Not Eating Sinking Pellets, Should I Switch To Flakes?

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just got 2 baby Fantail goldfish a couple of days ago. They seem healthy and happy, but I was watching them this morning after feeding them and one of them is not eating the sinking pellets. He/she just spits them right back out. I soaked them in water for a few minutes before feeding them and now they have been in the tank for 20 mins and he still won't eat them.
Should I switch to flakes or ? I know floating food isn't great for them, but I can hold it under water so a little sinks at a time.
I'm worried that one is gonna get super fat and the other is going to starve.

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never mind. I figured out what the problem was. Even though the pellets are quite small they are still a little too big for one of the Goldfish. They are also super hard even after 30 mins in the water. I'll just try breaking them into smaller pieces for them till they get bigger.

VioletSS

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow - I'm surprised they are hard after 30 minutes. I only soak mine for maybe 5 minutes. Then I take one and mash it between my fingers for the smaller fish. I feed New Life Spectrum regular.

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have API Goldfish sinking pellets. API Optimal Protein Sinking Pellets Goldfish Food, 4-oz bottle They seem to like them, but I was also very surprised by how long they stay hard after being in the water. Also I found some will float for at least 15 mins even after soaking them. I might need to look at getting a different food.
I did also feed them some boiled broccolI and defrosted brine shrimp so far which they loved.

VioletSS

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll have to give the broccolI a try!
I recently tried blanching spinach and after taking a little while to figure it out - they like it. Do you have a magnetic glass cleaner? I stuck the spinach under the side that's in the water and just let it hang there.

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They loved it. Since there is only 2 of them I just used a pair of blunt tweezers to feed them. That way they each get some and I don't have a bunch of food sitting in the tank. The pellets on the other hand I just put in the water and they eat what lands on the bottom.

New Threads