Goldfish not eating Diagnosis

Mehmet91

Hi everyone,

Having had my two goldfish for 3 years,

mine being Cometfish and the other a Shubunkin,

I have noticed a change, firstly they wont eat, I use flake food primarily, but have tried bloodworms they won’t touch it, I had tried the Pea method and my Shubunkin had eaten two bits of pea but the cometfish won’t touch anything, It’s now been nearly 7 days since she’s not eaten anything at all I’m really concerned,

secondly here’s my water parameters taken yesterday

nitrates I’d say to be 10/20ppm
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
PH not shown in photograph 8.5
Tank size 300L
Filter - Fluval 407

The tank is well established and hasn’t had any water quality issues, However I have noticed that on my cometfishs body I’m seeing specs of white spots now is this Ich or white spot or is it stress related?

Temperatures in London have been really high lately hitting the 32c mark however I have been keeping the aquarium cool with frozen water bottles which had brang the temp down considerably (aquarium fan is waiting to be delivered)

I have treated the entire tank which is 300L aquarium with Interpet Anti White-Spot which it’s hard to diagnose properly I haven’t noticed anymore of these spots come up I could be misdiagnosing?

the fish in general over the 3 years that I’ve had them have been really healthy until now I don’t know what is happening,

also they are staying mid range high in the aquarium which isn’t like them usually they like to chill at the bottom during the night I have turned on the air stones to provide additional oxygen in the tank with the wave makers

the comet fish usually rushes so much for food but for the past 7 days now absolutely nothing, the first day that she wasn’t eating I had noticed she was still pooping but since day 2 nothing, I’m hoping I can save her and my Shubunkin if there is indeed a misdiagnosis,

can anyone shed some advice please?

Attachments

• 30C86F04-0615-4548-A13B-84FB09D27EBB.jpeg
    30C86F04-0615-4548-A13B-84FB09D27EBB.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 25
  • C981F5EC-EEE6-46AD-9BF3-7BAF7F7C5812.jpeg
    C981F5EC-EEE6-46AD-9BF3-7BAF7F7C5812.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 00037E19-0ACF-490A-9723-EC16774E31CB.jpeg
    00037E19-0ACF-490A-9723-EC16774E31CB.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DD0E81A4-0D6A-45C6-8941-C55B9106555A.jpeg
    DD0E81A4-0D6A-45C6-8941-C55B9106555A.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 25

Force

Looks like ich but not that much

Mehmet91

Thankyou for the reply force, can you recommend any specific treatment as I’m not sure that the treatment given will help or will it ? The treatment given was Interpet Anti White Spot

Noroomforshoe

I do not see any signs of ich. I used rid ich last time my fish had ich and it worked !
Are you saying that you already used interpret white spot? If so use it exactly as the box says, dont stop halfway. if it suggests a water change at the end or fresh carbon, be sure to do it!

Ouse

Although keeping the temperature low is proving hard for you right now, I would like to add that the temperature should be between 15-18°C. 32°C is very high for even tropical fish, let alone coldwater fish such as goldfish. I have to think this very high temp is playing a big part in this.

Mehmet91

Hi there sorry I should of been more specific the max temp their tank has been during the is about 23c still on high side but not 32c I meant that was our heatwave temp outside in London, so this did raise the temp high a little bit to 23c, During the cold months temps was perfectly between 17/18c but during the summer I really struggle to maintain this, does this look like ich or something else ?

Ouse

I can’t see anything in the second photo that suggests your fish has it, but I do see spots in the first.

Mehmet91

Thankyou for the swift reply, is there anything else I can do to encourage eating at this stage, confused as to what it could be

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Hi, heard that food flavoured with garlic is hard for fish to resist.

CrackerboxPalace

Yep, if you can prefer garlic-soaked flakes or peas, or even pieces of bite-size garlic they will at least check it out.

Force

Thankyou for the reply force, can you recommend any specific treatment as I’m not sure that the treatment given will help or will it ? The treatment given was Interpet Anti White Spot
Uhh ich-x and others you can search em up

Mehmet91

Yep, if you can prefer garlic-soaked flakes or peas, or even pieces of bite-size garlic they will at least check it out.
Thankyou for the reply, Unfortunately i have tried the seachem Garlic guard which arrived today soaked in peas and still not interested just not even attracted to the smell its now been 10 days since they haven't eating anything, I can only assume now that whatever they have its making them more weak & more lethargic, Swimming about as usual but no attempt at garlic soaked food :( can you recommend anything else ?

CrackerboxPalace

Thankyou for the reply, Unfortunately i have tried the seachem Garlic guard which arrived today soaked in peas and still not interested just not even attracted to the smell its now been 10 days since they haven't eating anything, I can only assume now that whatever they have its making them more weak & more lethargic, Swimming about as usual but no attempt at garlic soaked food :( can you recommend anything else ?
If you have some tweezers maybe hold a piece of spinach, lettuce etc. soaked in garlic directly in front of them? Make sure to sterilise the tweezers first.

jtjgg

have you seen any flashing or rubbing?

did they stop eating before or after the use of the frozen water bottles?

before or after you notice the white spots?

could be ich, could be stress bumps. but since you started the medication, follow through.

23'C,73'F really isn't warm for goldfish. goldfish are not cold water fish, they are temperate. and many are raised in outdoor ponds in the tropics. my indoor comets tank is 77'F,25'C in the summer and 67'F 19'C in the winter. my comets in the outdoor patio pond is currently 88'F,31'C.

Mehmet91

If you have some tweezers maybe hold a piece of spinach, lettuce etc. soaked in garlic directly in front of them? Make sure to sterilise the tweezers first.
thankyou for the advice here I will try this in the morning

have you seen any flashing or rubbing?

did they stop eating before or after the use of the frozen water bottles?

before or after you notice the white spots?

could be ich, could be stress bumps. but since you started the medication, follow through.

23'C,73'F really isn't warm for goldfish. goldfish are not cold water fish, they are temperate. and many are raised in outdoor ponds in the tropics. my indoor comets tank is 77'F,25'C in the summer and 67'F 19'C in the winter. my comets in the outdoor patio pond is currently 88'F,31'C.
thankyou for the reply also I not sure if you’d call this rubbing or flashing but few days prior and every now and then there is erratic behaviour for example fast pacing kind of scatty if you understand what I mean mouth opening quick erratic moment then she goes back to normal they had stopped eating after the bottles was placed in I had still been waiting on aquarium fans being delivered to keep my aquarium cool and yet I’m still waiting due to delivery issues!, I’m at my wits end in understanding the root cause of all this was it the bottles placed in to cool temp would it of been the rapid increase in temp, If after the course of treatment doesn’t do anything would aquarium salt help? How long can they go without no food it’s got me at such a worry I’m trying everything possible to try get them to eat I honestly thought the garlic guard would help but it hasn’t as yet, I had raised the temp slowly thinking it could of been ich to 25c does it need to be higher I’m not even sure if I’m misdiagnosed this, Never had this problem before they had genuinely been really healthy up until now, im trying to alleviate as much stress as possible with them as I know it’s critical the fact they haven’t eaten,

jtjgg

there's too many factors to conclusively say what the cause was.

fish do not like fast temp changes or fast pH changes. i'm guessing the fish tank is inside your house, with air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? the temps in the tank naturally change slowly with the temp inside your house. adding frozen water bottles could cause too much of a rapid drop in temp.

i would stop using the frozen water bottles. finish using the medication as directed. i would hold off on the aquarium salt. if it is ich, the medication will take care of it. the salt might cause more stress. afterwards do water changes every 3 - 4 days. gravel vac also.

goldfish can go about 2 weeks without eating. you can continue to try feeding them blanched peas, broccoli, and other leafy veggies.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Olivia Janae
  • Question
Replies