Goldfish not active?

1. Anon

Anon Valued Member Member

Hi Everyone!

So I have this comet goldfish. His name is Flipper. I honestly don't have a clue on how old he is. I'm thinking around 10 years old. About a year ago he was still in his under-filtered, never cleaned, unlighted, horribly decorated 10 gallon tank. Since then he was moved to a 30 gallon, and now in his very own 55 gallon (along with some snails).

He's been doing this thing where he will just lay down in a corner, and just kind of stay there for a long time. I don't really know how to explain it. Whenever I come up to the tank he does this "happy dance" and acts normal until I walk away and he just lays down again. There are times when he goes days without doing it but I don't know why. His tank cleaning routine is regular, the water quality is fine, what am I doing wrong?

I have a picture but like I said he gets up when I get close to the tank so it's a pretty bad picture. I took it from half way across the room.

I was thinking maybe he's just lonely but my dad is very much against this hobby of mine so I doubt he'd let me get another fish.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    Anon

photo.jpg

3. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have no advice here but I have an Oranda named Bella that does the same thing.. she rests on the floor and scares me silly until she sees me and swims around. She's been doing it for months though. How long has yours been doing it? If it's a new thing I would worry a little more.

He also looks a little chunky for a common, could he be bloated? I think that's a common cause of laying on the floor. Try feeding him a bit of thawed frozen pea, mush it and feed :)xx

4. aHumanBeing

aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

My Fancies sleep on the sand right beside each other but the rest of the day they swim around. Also Goldfish like to be with other goldfish, probably not the issue but just food for thought. It's too bad your dad doesn't like fish...I mean it wouldn't hurt him if another fish were in there. It's not like 1 more fish takes up any more space.

You might be due for a large water change if he's doing that all the time. I'll sometimes fast my fish and feed them some fiberous greens to flush their little systems out.

5. OP
    OP
    Anon

It's not a new thing. He's being doing that as long as I've noticed. I guess it could be a bloated issue. It's been awhile since he's had some peas. I'll try that tonight, thanks!

6. OP
    OP
    Anon

I'll try the larger water change. I agree I think its a little overdue. Thanks for the reminder!

7. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there. I'm sorry Flipper is acting off.

I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I wanted to throw the possibility out there that this could be related to age or growth/st?

You said he's a comet? And he's 10 years old about? If you have a comet that's 10 years old and can still fit in a 55g tank, he's likely pretty stunted. These are fish that can and do grow to 24" in length and, at his age, he should be well near that size.

I think the care provided for this behavior is best given palliatively. Lots of clean water, a boosted diet and, yes, maybe a friend. If he's already stunted, I think the benefit from companionship will outweigh the risks of putting another fish in there. I would go with a fast-swimming fancy goldfish like a fantail or ryukin.

Best of luck :) He's a cute little chunker!

8. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I don't believe stunting is the issue, by chance, does flipper like to forage through the sand a lot? Maybe he's been eating too many granules? I would check his feces for the presence of sand.

9. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Okay well I stand corrected then :) Apologies!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

He does sound like he could be stunted, just due to his age and size.

I am interested to know about the sand and wether that could be the issue here. My Goldies are on sand too.xx

11. T

Tank Girl Valued Member Member

There are a few reasons he may be bottom sitting. Illness, parasites, not enough or low quality food, poor water quality, etc.. However, if you've ruled all those things out and that's the only symptom, he may just be under stimulated. They do prefer to have some company. I have one that responded very well to the addition of a friend.

He is very small for a comet that may be ten years old, but it's growth isn't something you had any control over. Comets usually get to 12-16".

Sand is perfectly fine for goldfish. No worries there. :)

12. G

Garry New Member Member

Tried plants in the tank?
    Or...
    Water movement? Bubbles? Trickling water?
    With none of these 3 an aquarium, a fish sits in a defining silence. Even wild fish have multiple sounds/vibrations for them to hear/feel.
    Just a thought...
    But then again if he seems healthy, I wouldn't worry.
    Good luck.

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...

13. OP
    OP
    Anon

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I did a large water change (maybe around 75%. took awhile. I use buckets still) I don't know if that helped but it was due anyways.

I fasted him for a day and then the next two days only peas. He's back to his regular food and I think that helped quite a bit too.

I always felt bad for him because he seemed so bored all the time. I got a bunch of hornwort for the tank since it seemed like the only plant that I could keep alive. I still have some fake plants in there and he seems to enjoy swimming through them. That's the only stimulating thing I can think of besides a bubble wall that I'm putting in after I get a plexiglass cover to protect the light. The problem with another fish is that I'll probably grow attached to it, and my dad isn't going to take care of it when (if) I go to college after I graduate this year. Any other goldfish stimulating things i could try? Any fish from my other tank that would work? Maybe the bristlenose plecos if there's a temperature range they both like?

He does sift through the sand a lot and yes I did worry about that at first but I've read that foraging through sand is a normal behavior for them.

He definitely is stunted, poor guy, but there's really nothing I can do about that. It could be old age too.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers. It's helped a lot.