Goldfish Meds

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by natashavanhoepen, Apr 15, 2017.

1. n

natashavanhoepen New Member Member

Good day

I have 3 goldfish and 1 is sick, so I got some Sera Omnipur and added that, together with aquarium salt, to the tank. The instructions said to aerate well during treatment, however, the sick goldfish is too weak for the filter stream and even gets sucked up against the filter, so I decided to put it in a fishbowl (I don't have 2 tanks) and then to switch the water around several times a day (pour the bowl water into the tank and pour fresh, aerated water from the tank, into the bowl). Remember that all the water is medicated. However, the water is getting less - probably evaporation - and now I want to top it up. Can I add new water which is medicated proportionally, i.e. if it's 25% of the tank volume, then I add 25% of the medication dosage, or is medication such as Sera Omnipur supposed to be single dose, no top-ups?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    What exactly is wrong with your goldfish? Does it have white spots, is it bloated, does it have white stringy poop.

@CindiL can help you in detail

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely need more info.

What is making your fish sick? I see that he is weak, but any other physical symptoms?

Also what size is your big tank? What about your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & pH. What other fish are in the tank? Are they acting sick?

I would be reluctant to treat an entire tank if only one fish was sick.

I wouldn't top up your tank until the treatment is done. You would need to dechlorinate any water you add, and that may in turn destroy the meds. Have you removed the carbon from your filter while treating the tank?

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Let us know the above parameters and answers to the questions.

You can top off water but don't add more medication to the top off. The medicine is probably not evaporating, only the water. I also wouldn't recommend pouring his bowl water back into the tank. Put fresh water into the tank only.

But, depending on his symptoms you may want to treat separately altogether.

5. Enjoyyourwork

Enjoyyourwork New Member Member

Try API salt to get electorate into their system

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice