Goldfish Lying On Bottom Of Tank, Spits Air Bubble

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by haiiro, Aug 16, 2019.

1. haiiro

haiiroNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, i'm looking for some help. I currently look after my works fish, they were neglected and no one looks after them so i started to clean them and have been doing for the last few years.

There are currently two goldfish in the tank. There is a smaller yellow one and a larger orange one. The orange one has been laying at the bottom of the tank for months and months now. He comes up for food and will swim around in a panic if im cleaning the tank. He'll go up after i've cleaned the tank and take a gulp and let out a bubble. I've also noticed his breathing seems very fast in comparison with the other fish.

I started using tap water safe during water changes about a month ago. I've tried disease safe solution but didn't notice anything. I replace filters regularly and i do a water change once a week.

I notice that only after about a week when i use the water pump to remove debris there are loads of old food lying around and ive got to take out more than half the water to clear it. I think they may be feeding them a lot which isn't going to help but ive told them this over and over as sometimes its only been 3 days and the tank has been FILTHY after only just being cleaned.

I'm honestly clueless and i really need some advice. I'm on a limited budget, they take ages to give me any money back for filter replacements and i don't even bother asking for anything else like food or treatments, i know they want the fish dead, they've said that before..and then they'll go out and buy more....ive offered to take them but my manager refused even though her staff don't bother and she can't get a new tank/new filters..

The tank has no light and the water smells like...the sea, its quite pungent. No idea if this is normal???

I bought luffy balls and use two fluval filters right now and then there's just normal decorations and gravel in the tank.

The fish that is sick seems to have floppy fins but i cannot see anything else on his body and he doesn't seem tilted to one side, it just seems a lot of effort for him to swim.

If someone could give me some advice or product recommendations, i would be really grateful as he's been like this a while.

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    2 years
    Do you have an API Freshwater Master Test kit? they're about $20. sounds like it might be ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. due to changing out the filter cartridge. That is where your beneficial bacteria lives. Also, read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. READ FIRST: Freshwater Beginner Important Topics

here is The Guide for customizing your filter media: Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters

sounds like its probably a small tank, goldfish need large (70-75%) weekly water changes.

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yep, replacing the filter cartridges regularly caught my attention as well. Big red flag! Only rinse them in old tank water, don't replace them until they're falling apart. There's good, beneficial bacteria on those cartridges that you removed and might have sent the tank into a negative spiral.

Aquariums, due to their nature of millions of bacteria and even life that we cannot see, will have a slight fishy smell, but you shouldn't smell it from a distance and it shouldn't be too strong when you're near it. I only smell mine when I stick my face in the tank, and the smell isn't very strong.

4. OP
    OP
    haiiro

haiiroNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, so when they're filled with gunk, just rinse lightly in tank water? What about the actual filters? They get filthy. The tank is really big, its definitely a decent size for the two goldfish anyway. It takes me a good hour or more to clean. I'm looking to get a pump for oxygen, would that be helpful? I had a look at the test kits, i'll probably have to get one but this is costing me a fortune and its money i won't get back, it took 3 months for me to get £20 back from them. They just neglect them, i've seen the tank in horrendous states when i've gone away for my holidays. Is there anything else i can do to help them out? In regards to the filters, they get cleaned out with tap water once a week and replaced probably once every two months, or when they get really brown basically so i'll stop doing that and just rinse in tank.

5. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    2 years
    you can maybe check on Facebook for some Fish groups that can donate some supplies.

when you do water changes, save some old tank water in a bucket and rinse the filter and filter media in it.