Goldfish losing scales- need help!

Sassyskates

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, all! I really appreciate any help you all can give me. I’m still a beginner. About a week ago, I noticed my goldfish was losing scales. I’m my 70g tank currently, I have the common goldfish (1 year old), a bristlenose pleco (less than a yr old), and three gold dojo loaches (young- I got them a month ago. The goldie and pleco have been in the same tank since last fall and have always gotten along fine. The loaches and goldie became fast friends and follow each other around. When I first noticed the goldie losing scales, I suspected the pleco because I know occasionally there can be a problem when the plecos get older with them sucking on the goldfish. I quarantined the pleco and noticed the goldfish was searching for food behind an ornament in my tank with rocks on it (the loach motel on the right side of the picture). It seemed like he was trying to turn around behind it and was scraping himself. I also noticed new missing scales and scrapes while the pleco was separated, so I put the pleco back in the display tank and arranged the ornament so the goldfish can’t scrape against it anymore. However, he has now started foraging on the other side of the tank and more scales are missing and I am noticing more scrapes on him. I purposefully keep this side of the tank hard for him to access because otherwise it’s hard to feed the pleco because the goldie is such a pig. So, I’m 99% sure the scale loss is happening from him scraping himself while foraging. He has no other marks on him, he’s very active and eating and playing with the loaches, he’s swimming fine. I’ve been checking the water parameters quite a bit this past week and they’ve always remained the same as what they have been before and what I have listed below from checking them today.
I’ve read about every goldfish disease I can find and nothing matches. How do I get him to stop doing this to himself? And do I need to be doing anything to help him heal? Or does this sound like it could be something else? I’m really worried about this, but he’s acting fine.
I usually do a 20-30% weekly water change. I just did a 50% deep clean yesterday to make sure the water is clean for him. My water parameters today are as follows. I use the api test kit.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm
Ph: 7.4
Temp: 74
C3EA3E6D-D512-4E2C-82C2-E54609AB7C0F.jpeg
1220B59E-47C5-4C94-9054-C3927783D5E2.jpeg
666E7C6C-D513-472A-AD89-CE84F05132DC.jpeg

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd remove all the sharp or rough decor. They can just be clumsy ya know? I try to keep very little to none in my tanks, because they always find someway to scratch themselves up.
But just in case he's flashing, he's not banging himself into it and purposefully scratching himself right? Because that would be an indicator of parasites or, though less likely in your setup, water issues.

OP
Sassyskates

Sassyskates

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No- he’s swimming around normally and not flashing. I’m trying to figure out a way to block that area off better so he can’t get down in there. The only thing remotely rough in that area is the driftwood my plants are attached to. I resituated the loach motel and he’s leaving it alone now since he can’t get behind it anymore. I appreciate your response.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That sounds alright. Missing scales from bumping into stuff isn't the worst that could happen, they'll grow back. Just try to make sure he can't try to fit through somewhere small and hurt himself.

New Threads