Question Goldfish living with Oscars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oscars have gotten a bad reputation because they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth,that often being small goldfish.They really are not the big mean fish they are made out to be.There are much bigger and meaner fish out there. Oscar are right in the middle of aggression,IMO. The goldfish in that tank are bigger than the Oscar too.
Funny thing is,feeding Oscars goldfish has been linked to some diseases. They need a well balanced diet. It has been said that fish are not even a big part of their diet in the wild.
The biggest problem with that tank is the Oscar and Goldfish do better at different water temps.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that Oscars don't deserve the bad rep that they have. Alot of what is percieved as aggression from Oscars is just them being a bit curious & thier inclination to rearrange tank decor to suit themselves. There are definitley bigger & meaner fish to put in an aquarium.

The owner of that particular aquarium just doesn't care that the fish have different requirements to each other. They are more interested in having the look they want than having the fish happy & healthy.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree about the water differences but would you not agree that they seem healthy?
I don't think that health is the issue, it's more about whether a person cares to have their fish survive or actually thrive in their environment. We all have to play a balancing act with this, obviously, because of finances and space. Most people try to recreate conditions similar to what the creature originally came from. It would seem that this is the best method to at least know that the fish is biologically thriving, I mean you don't put a polar bear in the carribean and expect him to thrive, but he would probably survive fine if he adapted.

OP
ViridiosExotics

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Goldfish Came from Southern China and then are introduced into Japan and Korea.
If you go to any of those country you will see goldfish and koi alongside tropicalfish such as gouramis.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish Came from Southern China and then are introduced into Japan and Korea.
If you go to any of those country you will see goldfish and koi alongside tropicalfish such as gouramis.
I'm afraid that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Just because they do it doesn't make it the right way to care for the fishes welfare. Keeping Goldies & Koi alongside tropicals is also a long way from keeping Goldies with large & temperamental cichlids.

I can keep a Doberman alive if it's confined to it's kennel, but that doesn't mean the animal is happy.

OP
ViridiosExotics

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The main problem with Goldfish and Koi in Sub-Tropical/Tropical aquariums is Dissolved Oxygen.
If you have very good Oxygenation via an air stone and or power filter and good circulation via a power head they are fine.

I've kept Sarasa Comets with Blood Parrots and Kissing Gouramis this way they were very healthy and happy.
I have a 'Coldwater' on stand by if there was a problem but they are still doing fine after all these years.

They do best around 22C-24C
Adding a Protein skimmer goes along way too.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Again just because it can be done doesn't mean the fish are at all happy about it. I'm afraid that's my final word on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom