Goldfish isn't eating.. Tank not cycled....

1. Kellybow144 Initiate Member

Hello everyone... so I got a goldfish at the carnival almost 2 years ago. I had it in a bowl and then bought a 10 gallon tank for him. I just kind of put him in there and didn't cycle the tank. Well the tank cycled and he survived. He has been in it for over a year now. He is getting big so I wanted to get him a bigger tank. I got a 36 gallon the other day and I was going to cycle the tank before I put him in it. Well I was reading different things and I came across something called an "instant cycle". I figured if I took his water in his 10 gallon and put it in the 36 gallon and put his old filter cartridge in there he would be good. Well I vacuumed his old tank and put some of that stuff in his new tank and I took some water from the 10 gallon and put it in there and I had the filter cartridge from the 10 gallon just sitting in the middle of the tank. I tested the water in the 36 gallon and the ph was around 6.6 and it was the same in the 10 gallon. Well I wanted it to be 7 so I read that u can add baking soda to it and it will increase the ph. So I added 7 teaspoons just one time and the next day it was around 8.2. I went to petsmart and had the water tested there and they told me to put him in there and everything will adjust itself. So stupid me decided to put him in the new tank. So he is in there now and he was swimming around and eating. Next day I found him sitting at the bottom in the corner just swimming in place. I fed him and he didn't care and wouldn't move. He pretty much did that the entire day and I did a 30% water change and I used well water instead of my tap water (I tested the well water and it was 6) and used the dechlorinator. Ph went down to 7.4ish. He started swimming around a little bit but he pretty much went to the corner again. So its been 2 days since I put him in there and he hasn't eaten except for the first day I put him in. I know my tank isn't cycled and it needs to be. Ammonia, Nitrates, and nitrites are all 0. Current PH is 8. I don't want to kill him. I bought the bigger tank just for him. I was thinking of putting him back into the 10 gallon just until I can cycle the 36 gallon. I still have the 10 set up but I have 3 blue tetras in it. Should I move him back?

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't move him back. How long was it between putting his old filter on the bigger tank and putting him in the tank? Did you acclimate him to the new higher pH? A big pH change can be really stressful.

If I were you I would keep doing water changes daily until you're sure it's cycled.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sadly, putting the old filter media in the tank, will not help much with the cycle. The bacteria that cycles a tank lives in the filter media and the ammonia/nitrite gets coverted into nitrate as the water passes thru the filter media.

Is there any reason you want to alter your pH? A pH of 6.6 is fine for your fish. But a fluctuating pH can kill a fish. Especially rapid changes in pH. I would recommend just letting your pH go back to where it was. You goldfish apparently did just fine for a whole year at that pH level.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, I must have misunderstood. I thought the old filter media went into the tank in a filter. Agree with the above. Just putting the media in the tank isn't going to help the cycle much, if at all.

5. Kellybow144 Initiate Member

Okay so on my 10 gallon tank I have a ph and ammonia wheel. on the wheel it looks like the ph is a 6.6 but i tested it with the API freshwater master test kit and its saying it's a 7.4. So I'm guessing he has been in a ph of 7.4. I did a 30% water change in the 36 gallon today with well water because the ph is lower in that and now its a 7.4. So both the 10 gallon and 36 gallon are at the same ph level right now. He is still sitting at the bottom and his eyes look weird and his fins are clamped. I have 0 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates in the 36 gallon. So i don't even think has even started cycling yet because there is no ammonia.

[​IMG]

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I see what you mean about his eyes looking weird. Do you have any other way to get your pH tested? What test do you use for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

He's been thru a lot and it may take a few days for him to recover.

8. joiakimfish Member Member

What is the temp of your water it's well known that golds like cooler water

9. Kellybow144 Initiate Member

So I moved him back to the 10 gallon and he's swimming around and picking up the gravel in his mouth like he usually does. Except his eyes are still cloudy and I don't think he can see his food. He ate a little bit. I read that it could take 1-2 weeks for his eyes to clear up on their own? I'm using the API Freshwater master test kit. When I moved him the Ph in the 36 was 7.6 and the 10 gallon it was 7.4.

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What's the temperature in the two tanks?

11. Kellybow144 Initiate Member

10 gallon is 72 and 36 gallon is 75

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That might be part of the problem. Is your 36 heated? Is there any way you can bring the temperature down to 72? Or maybe an extra-long acclimation period is needed to get your goldie used to the new temperature and he was suffering from a bit of shock due to the temperature jump.

13. Kellybow144 Initiate Member

He seems to be doing much better in the 10 gallon. His eye looks a little better today. He is eating and swimming around like usual. I hope his eye clears up. I am going to try and lower the temp in the 36 and cycle it.