Goldfish injury or illness

Dingomama

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
20200303_090334.jpg

Does this look familiar to anyone? I rescued him for a lfs one year ago (he was stuck to their filter intake and missing one eye). He's been getting around with one eye pretty well and he is a fiesty little survivor.
This appeared yesterday. I think he might have gotten stuck somewhere and scraped his underside.
He is in a 75 gallon with 7 other goldfish (all of whom besides this one-eye guy will be moved to my pond when it warms up).
Does anyone recognize this? Injury or illness?

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hhhmm, I have never seen anything like this. I would use KoiZyme to keep it from getting infected. Also what's your tank parameter?

BettaNgold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tested your water recently? Looks like possible ammonia poisoning. How do the others look? If it was from being stuck, I would think the top portion would be affected too.

OP
Dingomama

Dingomama

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BettaNgold said:
Have you tested your water recently? Looks like possible ammonia poisoning. How do the others look?
The others look absolutely fine and one-eye is eating normally. I'm trying to see if his bouyancy is being affected - might be.
I've had this tank going for a year without issues so I haven't tested wc in a while but I'll do that now since you say it might be ammonia poisoning.
Was about to do a 30% wc and add a chemipure refresher, so if it's wc, that should help too.
Any additional thoughts are welcome.

OP
Dingomama

Dingomama

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looking again, it's almost completely symmetrical and it circles his pectoral fins then ends.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I noticed, it's pretty odd. I have had experiences in the past where ammonia poisoned fish got red around the fins, but not such a large section of their body as this little guy. Definitely do some water changes and test the water.

OP
Dingomama

Dingomama

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I could kick myself for not checking sooner. Not like I'm new to this.
There is some ammonia. I'll be doing a bigger wc and adding chemipure and zeolite asap.
I guess by process of elimination I'll know that was it if his redness improves. I can post what happens if anyone is interested.
As for septicemia, I'll have to look into it. I'm adding aquarium salt today as well.
The thing with quarantine is, in my view, the stress of the capture and move could make him worse not better, and unless I'm more inclined to think it's contagious, I hate to jump to that right off.
All of your thoughts are very helpful.

OP
Dingomama

Dingomama

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And this is why FL asks for parameters first...
Happy to say that my one eyed goldfish (Popeye) has cleared up. It was ammonia/nitrite I think. I'm embarrassed to admit I let my aquarium get out of hand. I have no excuse.
If someone sees a similar problem in the future, this ugly sore on my goldfish responded within the first 24hrs and was completely normal within 48 after 50% wc and treatment to remove ammonia.
Thank you so much to all who helped.