Goldfish Injured?!?

Jp12321

My comet goldfish was absolutely fine 2 days ago.

I returned home from work yesterday and he was stuck under a rock, I don't know how long for but it must have been a while!

I got him free from the rock, but he was acting very strange (presumably exhausted), blindly swimming around and bumping into things, while completely ignoring all food (even frozen brine shrimp targeted at his mouth with a pipette). Although he was confused he could still swim around fine for a few hours.

This morning he was lying on his side at the bottom of the tank so I moved him to a hospital tank. He now lies sideways at the top of the water motionless. If I disturb him he will right himself, then swim perfectly fine for a few minutes, before going back to floating on his side at the top of the water.

Is there anything I can do to save him?? I presume something is wrong with his swim bladder but could it just be exhaustion (which may fix itself)? There is no sign of physical injury at all.

I have 4 other goldfish in the tank who are all perfectly fine, I've tested the water and completely safe parameters for all - this is definitely caused by being stuck in the rock.

If anyone has any advice please let me know! Thank you

ButtercuptheOranda

My comet goldfish was absolutely fine 2 days ago.

I returned home from work yesterday and he was stuck under a rock, I don't know how long for but it must have been a while!

I got him free from the rock, but he was acting very strange (presumably exhausted), blindly swimming around and bumping into things, while completely ignoring all food (even frozen brine shrimp targeted at his mouth with a pipette). Although he was confused he could still swim around fine for a few hours.

This morning he was lying on his side at the bottom of the tank so I moved him to a hospital tank. He now lies sideways at the top of the water motionless. If I disturb him he will right himself, then swim perfectly fine for a few minutes, before going back to floating on his side at the top of the water.

Is there anything I can do to save him?? I presume something is wrong with his swim bladder but could it just be exhaustion (which may fix itself)? There is no sign of physical injury at all.

I have 4 other goldfish in the tank who are all perfectly fine, I've tested the water and completely safe parameters for all - this is definitely caused by being stuck in the rock.

If anyone has any advice please let me know! Thank you
I’m no expert but MAYBE the rock did something to his swim bladder? Was he like wedged tightly under the rock or just hardly stuck

Upvote 0

Jp12321

I’m no expert but MAYBE the rock did something to his swim bladder? Was he like wedged tightly under the rock or just hardly stuck
Thanks for the reply, he's still alive and slightly more active but mostly same as. Yeah he was pretty stuck, it was by a bubbler too and I think the currents trapped him. It's weird that although he was very confused and tired after I freed him, he could still swim ok. Was only about 12 hours later that he couldn't swim normally so I'm not sure what that could be?

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Thanks for the reply, he's still alive and slightly more active but mostly same as. Yeah he was pretty stuck, it was by a bubbler too and I think the currents trapped him. It's weird that although he was very confused and tired after I freed him, he could still swim ok. Was only about 12 hours later that he couldn't swim normally so I'm not sure what that could be?
Honestly me either I hope someone with more knowledge will come along

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
umut
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017