Goldfish in urgent need of some help

Angel4321

Hi all,

I'm desperately after some help for my ryukin

He's always had a bit of trouble with swim bladder but I've been able to quickly have him upright again with peas. That was until about a month ago when his underside inflated and he hasn't been right side up since.

I tried all the usual tricks.. not feeding for 3 days, feeding peas, salt bathes etc. His swelling did drastically reduce but not enough to have him swimming correctly again.

He is presently in a quarantine tank and being treated with broad spectrum remedy which doesn't seem to be of much use.

He has quite a healthy appetite and is still very active for an upside down fish. I've had him three years and am quite opposed to putting him down if there's no need for it considering he still seems quite happy all in all

Any suggestions on what may be wrong or what else I can try

Attachments

• 20220816_182753.jpg
    20220816_182753.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220816_182639.jpg
    20220816_182639.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7

PeterFishKeepin

Welcome to fishlore :)

Sorry i have no experience with swim bladder issues but others will be able to help you soon.

Peter

lonewolf 47

What exactly is the broad spectrum remedy you are using? If the usual tricks don't work could be an internal infection. Is the temperature around 77? Cold water makes swimblader disease worse.

SparkyJones

I don't know man.... Desperate times call for desperate measures.
betting he's gulping air with floating foods, and can't get the air out, racing t the top waiting for food and gulping air every time he sees you maybe also. stop feeding for like a week, nothing at all, this may or may not work. if he's gulping air because he doesn't know better, it's not going to work.

Another option is to take the fish out, and massage the stomach gently with wet hands, don't squeeze really hard, light pressure towards the vent. this works with flowerhorns that get bloated and can't release the gas buildup from gulping air.

I don't have an easy answer, I don't think it's swim bladder, he's been like this for a month and still eating. I think it's air and anytime he's eating he's gulping more air, or simply going to the top for food thinking it's coming and blub blub blub and getting air.

Do you only feed sinking foods? or only the peas when he's like this?

Their diet is like 70% plant, the goldfish flakes and floating pellets aren't good for fancies unless they sink,
even then he's better off with veggies and brine shrimp and stuff like that instead of the fillers in the processed foods, and he's got to be trained over time to not go to the surface looking for food or he's going to keep swallowing air.

you'd be surprised what they will eat, spinach, cabbage, kale, broccoli, shelled peas, apple, grapes, watermelon, banana. Avoid peels and skins of course which are hard to digest if he's a gulper. Duckweed is normal though, but this other stuff serves the same purpose.
70% plant matter or more, 30% meaty stuff or less, like frozen, or fresh bloodworm or brine shrimps.

all of this stuff is high in moisture and low in air, and can be sunk, wich trains him to go low instead of running for the surface every time he sees you, also, this is less chance of grains causing bacteria gas in his gut if it is a food issue.

I mean could be swim bladder, but I think if it was, he would have died already from the infection and not still be swimming and trying to eat.

Angel4321

I don't know man.... Desperate times call for desperate measures.
betting he's gulping air with floating foods, and can't get the air out, racing t the top waiting for food and gulping air every time he sees you maybe also. stop feeding for like a week, nothing at all, this may or may not work. if he's gulping air because he doesn't know better, it's not going to work.

Another option is to take the fish out, and massage the stomach gently with wet hands, don't squeeze really hard, light pressure towards the vent. this works with flowerhorns that get bloated and can't release the gas buildup from gulping air.

I don't have an easy answer, I don't think it's swim bladder, he's been like this for a month and still eating. I think it's air and anytime he's eating he's gulping more air, or simply going to the top for food thinking it's coming and blub blub blub and getting air.

Do you only feed sinking foods? or only the peas when he's like this?

Their diet is like 70% plant, the goldfish flakes and floating pellets aren't good for fancies unless they sink,
even then he's better off with veggies and brine shrimp and stuff like that instead of the fillers in the processed foods, and he's got to be trained over time to not go to the surface looking for food or he's going to keep swallowing air.

you'd be surprised what they will eat, spinach, cabbage, kale, broccoli, shelled peas, apple, grapes, watermelon, banana. Avoid peels and skins of course which are hard to digest if he's a gulper. Duckweed is normal though, but this other stuff serves the same purpose.
70% plant matter or more, 30% meaty stuff or less, like frozen, or fresh bloodworm or brine shrimps.

all of this stuff is high in moisture and low in air, and can be sunk, wich trains him to go low instead of running for the surface every time he sees you, also, this is less chance of grains causing bacteria gas in his gut if it is a food issue.

I mean could be swim bladder, but I think if it was, he would have died already from the infection and not still be swimming and trying to eat.
I feed a combination of peas, bloodworms and sinking pellets which I soak for a minute or so before feeding. All my goldfish have peas a couple times a week. My main tank is planted with amazon swords and baby tears which he used to nibble on back when he could.

I don't personally think it's a swim bladder thing even though he is quite bloated. At the moment all the bloating prevents him from swimming upright or getting his mouth up above the waterline to gulp air and he will propel himself to the bottom of the tank to eat the sunken food but otherwise he floats upside down all day
What exactly is the broad spectrum remedy you are using? If the usual tricks don't work could be an internal infection. Is the temperature around 77? Cold water makes swimblader disease worse.
I've attached a picture of the broad spectrum remedy and it's ingredients, I was thinking he may have an infection of some form. His quarantine tank is set at 27°C

Attachments

• 20220817_175433.jpg
    20220817_175433.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
jtjgg