Goldfish in trouble

1. Bettabrat Initiate Member

Hi! Ive had this calico fancy goldfish for about 1-1/2 yrs.

I had upgraded his tank (65g) back in January along with a much with much bigger filters - one designed for a 90 gal and another designed for a 50g. I had 3 fancy goldfish. Water had been consistently good.
    Ph - 7
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 10

They had been in there about a month when I came home and the calico' tail was stuck in the filter. So I got him out, put some media in the intake tube and hoped for the best. Next morning he was stuck again. This time I took a piece of hosiery (never used) and wrapped the intake. I was just shy of covering the entire thing. Came home and he was stuck again. In the 2-3 top rings of the tube. But this time when he saw me he started fighting to get out before I could turn off the filter and he pretty much tore his tail fins off to his body. He's always had trouble with buoyancy but now he was all over the place. I decided to quarantine him in an extra 10g I had. Well he's been in it since March and I'm not sure what's going on. While resting he'll lay on his side all day. But when food is around he'll swim somewhat normal. Although without much control, flipping upside down...scooting around on the tank bottom on his side. So I though, maybe it's swim bladder. So I've been treating with Epsom salt and peas for weeks. He goes through spurts of swimming pretty well but then goes right down to the bottom of the tank and lays on his side. I decided to try a broad spectrum antibiotic and just finished that. No real change. His fins are growing back nicely although so far, not as long as they once were yet.

Here are some pictures. I'm wondering if he's suffering? How long is too long to wait for recovery? Should a try some other treatment? Im afraid the buoyancy will be worse than before if he does recover. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465353465.143463.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465353486.099892.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465353502.491843.jpg

Any advise is appreciated.

2. Pattern8 Initiate Member

Did you try fasting him for at least three days before starting the pea diet? Also did you raise the tanks temps

3. Bettabrat Initiate Member

Yes and yes. Right after I posted this there was entire day that he swam upright. I thought the antibiotics had done the job. But today she's right back to scooting all over the tank on her side.