goldfish in tropical tank? Question

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by lucky strike 21, Dec 9, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

ok i know there not supposed to go together but my question is my goldfish i have in the 55 gallon can i move them to the 150 gallon with my bps and jd or will they die? it would just be temporary or i heard they produce a slime that will sicken the tropical fish is this true

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have not personally heard of a slime but I will say they do prefer lower temps. I think with proper acclimation the temps would be ok, but I would worry about that JD beating up on it.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

More than temperature, I'd be worried that there would be consequences for putting them with such aggressive fish.

4. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

yeah thats what i was thinking too i want them to be safe is there dividers for tanks because personally today i noticed the big goldfish is starting to get cramped now i feel bad i rescued him and now i cant give him a good hmmm i dont know what to do so should i try it

i could put them in my 55 long with my community fish but they dont release any slime or dangerous to the tropical fish

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  5. kinezumi89

If you don't have anywhere to put them that's appropriate (IE temperate water, without aggressive fish) then I would just rehome them.

6. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

yeah thats what im thinking about but where i dont want them to go to someone who will care for them

7. kinezumi89

I'm guessing you meant you DO want them to go to someone who will care for them :p Put an ad in the BSTF forum, maybe someone will want them. :)

8. OP
    OP
    lucky strike 21

yeah thats what im thinking about but where i dont want them to go to someone who will care for them yeah thats what im going to end up doing thank you kinezumi89

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

why not do a nice goldfish tank? they are actually alot of fun to have. We have a 37 at work with a pair in them and they are very interactive.

10. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Definitely not with the JD, please. (s)he'll get torn apart. :(

I agree with finding a new home. If you're looking for temporary digs, you can use a large rubbermaid plastic container (those roughneck ones) on the floor. They work really well for this sort of thing. Be sure to add a filter that has been cycled.

There is no slime problem to my knowledge, but goldfish are very uncomfortable in a tropical tank. They will "adapt" to a point, but will be stressed. Stressed fish tend to get sick, and if the goldfish get sick the rest of your tank is at risk. It could cause you many, many headaches.

Hope this helps. :)

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, there's no way a goldfish could hold it's own with those fish.

As far as the slime sickening tropical fish? In my experience that's nonsense :)

12. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Goldfish do not produce a slime cost that is toxic to other fish. That's such garbage, and who ever came up with that should be punched in the face. Just sayin' :;nin2

I don't see a problem with keeping goldfish with "tropical" fish as long as the temp is kept where both parties are comfortable, and no is getting picked on. In fact, should I be getting what I think I'm getting for Christmas (a larger tank), I plan on moving my Fancy Goldfish inside to live with the inhabitants of my 20 long. In your case, I'm have to say no. Cichlids are not good candidates to try this with.

13. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Many "tropical" fish are quite happy in the low 70's

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice