Goldfish in outdoor pond.. rethinking

kippielynn

So I made the mistake of getting some goldfish for a new outdoor pond. It is only about 30g when full. Needless to say, I got more than I should have I read 10g per fish but because I got fancy it should have been 20g AND I just read that shubunkins need even more space So I think I made a big mistake! I’m likely going to move these guys but what is the final word on size tank or pond they need? I planned to bring them indoors in the winter anyways but I guess this needs to happen sooner:/ Thanks!

Tristen

So I made the mistake of getting some goldfish for a new outdoor pond. It is only about 30g when full. Needless to say, I got more than I should have I read 10g per fish but because I got fancy it should have been 20g AND I just read that shubunkins need even more space So I think I made a big mistake! I’m likely going to move these guys but what is the final word on size tank or pond they need? I planned to bring them indoors in the winter anyways but I guess this needs to happen sooner:/ Thanks!
How many did you get?

Upvote 0

Nataku

Bigger is always better, especially in ponds. 30 gallons is way too small of a pond because outside the temps will swing much more widely. A larger and deeper water mass (ie a much bigger pond) helps with this, but 30 gallons? You'll see highs in the 90s in warmer months and freezing solid in the winter if you live in a place where it freezes. That will kill goldfish at either extreme.

I don't keep goldfish in a pond unless it's at least 100 gallons. And even then I'd only keep a pair. Then add another 50-100 gallons per fish because ponds don't get the same level of water scrubbing/turnover as a tank.

Upvote 0

kippielynn

Yea it is a whiskey barrel pond. I only intended to keep it outside for the summer and then move them indoors for winter. People apparently do these mini ponds but I probably should have read for a couple more weeks or asked people here(forgot about this forum!). Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

kippielynn

How many did you get?
Well I got 4 so the two types would have pairs. I knew that was too many but I thought by one, not two! Turned out one jumped out the first night so now I have three: 2 fancy tails and shubunkin. I was hoping that they could hang in there another month or two then in the house early but the ammonia is really hard to keep down. It was .5 yesterday and I did a water change and this morning was .5 again

Upvote 0

Ptera

Our pond is approximately 400 gallons with 2 comet goldfish in it. One is about 7 inches, the other is about 5 inches. I believe this size pond could support 4 comet goldfish, but we have no intention of adding any more since that would increase the odds of them breeding and over-populating the pond.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lebeeze
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
MySquishy
Replies
Views
Manjit
  • Question