Goldfish In A 5g Tank :) :) :)

1. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

So my friend got "inspired" and bought a $50 show quality-ish ranchu.
    ...and put her in a 5g tank she originality bought for mosquito rasboras. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

This was back in April, and the poor thing's been pooping stress eggs non-stop. She's about 1.5". And for family and monetary reasons, my friend can't upgrade without causing drama - and tbh isn't trying very hard ...but 5 gallons for a goldfish. Really.

I picked up 10g for her from the thrift store - gonna wrap it like it's a box full of stuff and smuggle it, and help her set it up.

The idea is to swap 5g for 10g and just.. pretend it's the same tank lol. No drama.

The dimensions are kind of similar, so we're hoping her aunt won't notice.

$5 Canadian is about $3.50 USD.

1517wwww6.jpg

Best venti Starbucks latte I didn't buy! Wish I could do more.

Share your :banghead::banghead: stories with that one friend we all have.

2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, you need to encourage your friend to give that fish away. 10 gallons is waaayyy too small. Some places say that 10 gallons is the bare minimum, but realistically 20-30 gallons is better. They can get up to 5" long. That is HUGE for such a small tank. Especially with their high bioload. There would need to be water changes and tank cleanings multiple times per week to keep that tank healthy.

It is good of you to help, but that friend of yours does need to be encouraged to give the fish away.

3. OP
    OP
    tunafax

It's 20g for a single gold imo + either 5 or 10 per extra fish depending on WC regiment. I have 2 in a 45. The whole story is that she crashed with me for a month and got inspired by my large, fat golds.

She is doing daily WC, which is good I guess , but 5g is still a no. My hope is that the fish does sort of okay in the 10 gallon, and then gets a proper tank when my friend gets back on her feet - which may take like a year.

I don't... want.... that fish lol.
    If I say give it away, I'm the obvious candidate, and I'm sure she'd be upset when I say no.

...so hello 10g tank. Literally all I can do without assuming more responsibility than I have to, but still doing something for that poor fish.

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

she'll be really stunted but 10 is better than 5. It's really a shame that such a beautiful fish won't reach her full potential, but at least she'll be happier.

5. OP
    OP
    tunafax

Yeah, exactly how I feel.

It feels counter-productive, because I might be able to take her if she grows big enough to not get bullied too much. Maybe she'll grow, and maybe in a few months I'll change my mind. So far she's a cute little fighter. Fingers crossed, eh. 10g is better than 5g and might be somewhat livable.

I'm still pretty excited to finally be able to do something about the situation with only five bucks.

6. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Oh saw the title and just cringed... yeah 10 is better then 5 but a 20 or a 30 is even better. I guess if the aunt is really oblivious you could smuggle a 20 in after a few months? Is only 4" longer then the standard 10 and 2" wider.

7. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I just picked up a dying 9 inch fantail Goldfish that was a donation to Petsmart. I can't keep her (since I have 3 fancies in a 55) but she's doing sooooo much better and I think I will give her to my LFS which takes great care of donations.

8. Stanley C.

Stanley C. Valued Member Member

This is less than ideal, but with a lot of work, it may work for awhile. I would have your friend do large, 90% water changes everyday. No skipping. Also, only feed the fish a couple times a week. This is more than enough. If you can sneak a 10 gallon in with no one noticing, in a month a so try and get a 20 long in there. Put a large HOB on it, and it will improve the quality for the fish tremendously.

This is by far a good situation for this fish, but with some work, it can be done for awhile.

9. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

So, for monetary reasons they can't get a bigger tank - but they could afford a $50 fish. :facepalm:

10. OP
    OP
    tunafax

@2211Nighthawk and @Stanley C. - the aunt would definitely notice a 20g tank in place of a 5g gallon lol. That was the whole problem to begin with. :emoji_grimacing:

@VioletSS you should see her credit card bills lol. It's more that she's not paying rent and is a guest. I don't want to bag on my friend, except to the fact that she got a fish she knew she can't care for. And she knows!!! She knows. I keep backspacing rants lol.

But the fish shows $50. Look at this anger baby.
    1518sss0.jpg

11. Stanley C.

That fish doesn't look healthy to me. It won't last long with out a proper size tank. I would encourage your friend to re-home it, or donate it to a LFS. Cut your losses and get a fish that fits in the tank you have.

12. OP
    OP
    tunafax

She's not sick in any visual way except understandably stressed. I check every time I'm over there. What exactly makes you say that?

13. Stanley C.

I'm looking at a picture of an extremely stressed fish. Showing signs of stress, is not a healthy fish.

14. OP
    OP
    tunafax

Er... that's not how "seeing signs of stress" works lol. The only way to diagnose stress from a picture is sometimes by color if you really know what you're looking for... and definitely not under a punch filter.

Other than the part where you read in the thread that the fish is stressed and is living inside a toilet, do you see any actual signs of unhealthyness in that pic?

You actually scared me there for a moment, please never do that without a reason. I don't want to adopt that fish in out of panic for its health based on nothing.

15. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Nice find to give this fish something of an upgrade! Keep your eyes open and you might score something bigger for free or cheap down the road :) Would there still be drama if it was free?

16. 2211Nighthawk

You'd be surprised how oblivious some people can be. (Or hyper aware...) about things like that. Escpecally since it's not the aunts fish. I know someone on the hyper aware side and the oblivious side. But I don't know the person so just some friendly advise.

17. OP
    OP
    tunafax

This tank is going to be free for her already if it holds water for a few days. I'm not sure about the drama to be honest. It sounds like she doesn't want to give the impression she's disrespectful to the free living space, the furniture, the carpets etc.

If I score something bigger, it's mineeeee.... and hopefully I have the restraint to put it on craigslist lol. I have no surfaces left. My floor is buckets. ...unless it's a 5g. So there's this betta at petsmart...

18. Stanley C.

LOL! Please explain in detail what showing signs of stress is. If you think keeping a goldfish in a 5 gallon tank is not stressing it, and causing it to be unhealty, you have a lot to learn. The color of it, the cramped tank, all obvious in that pic, show a stressed and unhealthy fish.

You seem to be resistant to the truth with this fish. Good luck trying to keep it alive in tanks that are grossly too small for it.

Its ill health has been described by you through out this thread. If that scares you, I would step away from this fish and let nature, or actually, let an irresponsible fish owner, let the fish die prematurely. Because that is what is happening.

19. 2211Nighthawk

Oh yeah forgot about the not paying rent part. My sisyer's friend (that I happen to have gone to school with) didn't want to pay rent but was too stone broke to move (22ish years old part time minimum wage job no college/university) so she slept in a tent on their yard. I kinda figured that would last untill the next thunderstorm.

And sorry but I do kinda agree with @Stanley C. he'd be surviving in that tank but not necessarily thriving. I had to explain that concept to my mom. Just because we can survive in -45 weather (I'm in Canada so it gets stupid cold) dosen't mean I want to be -45 for any length of time.

20. OP
    OP
    tunafax

@Stanley C. woah there bud, you sure blew up there lol. I'm not going to reply to that. It's obvious you're here only to posture - not to contribute anything useful to thread except stomping your foot. Please don't do that in my thread, or anywhere else.