Goldfish Id Please

Richie99

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Great forum. So glad to have found it.
My daughter brought home a goldfish a few months ago from a fair. Can someone please help identify what type of goldfish it is? Thank you so much!

Attachments

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m by no means an expert, but just to throw it out there as a possibilty, it could also be a Sarasa or something between the two. The caudal tail, although short, still looks a bit longer than normal for a Common. Also the rounded lobes look very Comet-like, as well. It probably doesn’t completely meet either standards for the breeds. I suppose it is more Common than Comet, however.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
I’m by no means an expert, but just to throw it out there as a possibilty, it could also be a Sarasa or something between the two. The caudal tail, although short, still looks a bit longer than normal for a Common. Also the rounded lobes look very Comet-like, as well. It probably doesn’t completely meet either standards for the breeds. I suppose it is more Common than Comet, however.
I was wondering if it had some comet in it.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2211Nighthawk said:
I was wondering if it had some comet in it.
I probably shouldn’t have said anything. If it looks close to a Common, let it just be a Common. But yeah, there are a lot of mixing involved. It’s not unusual to see some non-fancy varieties to have a little bubble eye. There are some goldfish that are “unique” enough to not be categorized into any variety.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For reference, my boy is a common. See how your goldy’s tail is longer this his, but it is shorter then a “real”comet goldfish.

Either way, they all get big.
105FB544-BEEA-4D79-B8F5-721CE908C795.png

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
scarface said:
I probably shouldn’t have said anything. If it looks close to a Common, let it just be a Common. But yeah, there are a lot of mixing involved. It’s not unusual to see some non-fancy varieties to have a little bubble eye. There are some goldfish that are “unique” enough to not be categorized into any variety.
No no, I agree with you. Common/comet are so interchangeable becuase I think the literal only difference is the fin length.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can see any of the others besides Angel, I have sarassa comets. Angel has a veil tail. Her tail is as long as her body. Mouth to tail is 17”. My regular comets’ tails are 1/3 the length of their bodies.
From the description, I’d definitely say comet/common. A beauty either way.

Attachments

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2211Nighthawk said:
No no, I agree with you. Common/comet are so interchangeable becuase I think the literal only difference is the fin length.
Oh, I know you weren’t disagreeing earlier. No problemo there. I just think I talk too much sometimes. Lol.

On the subject of tails, I also think besides length, the tail is much more deeply forked in a Comet.

Gypsy13 said:
If you can see any of the others besides Angel, I have sarassa comets. Angel has a veil tail. Her tail is as long as her body. Mouth to tail is 17”. My regular comets’ tails are 1/3 the length of their bodies.
From the description, I’d definitely say comet/common. A beauty either way.
Awesome! I guess we are all in agreement then.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The most awesome part about this thread is that y'all discussed characteristics of related species then came to agreement without any further comment from the OP... so when the OP checks, they'll have consensus ID. this forum is amazeballs

Richie99

Reaction score
So interesting. I've been away on business for the past few days and came back to such a great discussion. Thank you! I was wondering about the comet/common characteristics since he looks a bit like both. This guy was super tiny when my daughter brought him home. I never owned a fish and didn't realized how these guys need such a big tank. I'm working on my wife to get a 40 gallon hopefully very soon. It's currently in a 10 gallon which I definitely know is too small but my wife thinks I'm out of my mind. I've been so careful to do 20% water changes every 2-3 days and bought the api water tester kit which shows excellent water quality. Going to try and get the larger tank in about a week and get it cycled using the info I found here. I'll keep everyone posted. Fingers crossed she doesn't throw me out with the fish. LOL.
Here's a photo of "Frans" when my daughter brought him home a few months ago.

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Richie99 said:
So interesting. I've been away on business for the past few days and came back to such a great discussion. Thank you! I was wondering about the comet/common characteristics since he looks a bit like both. This guy was super tiny when my daughter brought him home. I never owned a fish and didn't realized how these guys need such a big tank. I'm working on my wife to get a 40 gallon hopefully very soon. It's currently in a 10 gallon which I definitely know is too small but my wife thinks I'm out of my mind. I've been so careful to do 20% water changes every 2-3 days and bought the api water tester kit which shows excellent water quality. Going to try and get the larger tank in about a week and get it cycled using the info I found here. I'll keep everyone posted. Fingers crossed she doesn't throw me out with the fish. LOL.
Here's a photo of "Frans" when my daughter brought him home a few months ago.
Get your lovely wife involved. She’ll get hooked. And yeah, get the bigger tank as soon as possible. Such a lucky family to have such a pretty Frans!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom