Goldfish Ich (is it? What next?)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by smurfgun, Nov 28, 2012.

1. s

smurfgun Valued Member Member

Came home today and most of my fish have white specs on their fins. Is this Ich??? Here is a pic.

photo.jpg

I am going to pick up some ich treatment from the local pet store. But before that happens (probably not for another 24 hours), is there anything else I should do?

(sorry for the upside down pic)

Thanks!

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Fixed the photo for you, what is your water temperature at?

3. OP
    OP
    s

Hi,

72F currently

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

5. OP
    OP
    s

Is 30C temperature good for goldfish?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

yes it's fine - I've had the temp up to 90 with a goldfish. It's only temporary.

I don't think it's ich - it looks too big.

7. OP
    OP
    s

What do u think it is?

It had a resurgence. Only a few specs a few days ago but this morning they were all covered. Seems like a new hatch of parasites have latched on.

One of my ryukins seem to be losing some color. Don't know how this is related.

Thanks

8. Jaysee

I cant remember what it's called. It's like a cyst or something. It could just be the pic, but it looks much larger than a grain of salt, which is how big ich is.

9. OP
    OP
    s

You are looking at all the white specs on the tail?

10. Jaysee

yes. Do they look like grains of salt or are they larger than that? And, can you see it from either side of the fin, or only on one side?

11. OP
    OP
    s

They look like they are only on one side. I would say they are the size of 2 grains of salt. :). Seems slightly bigger but not by very much.

12. Jaysee

Hmmm. Well, ich is very easy to treat. If it is ich, it will start showing up all over the fins and body. Too many to count. Were it my fish, I would wait and see if that happens, at which point I would begin a heat treatment (before the fish is covered, though...)

Hopefully someone will come along who might be able to identify what it is.

If it's what I think it is, they will go away on their own - just stay up on the water changes.

13. OP
    OP
    s

Yeah. There weren't many a few days ago. But they are all over now. I'm afraid in a few days time, they will be covered more.

14. Jaysee

Okay, then start a heat treatment. If it's ich, they'll disappear. If it's not, it won't. Maybe it's a physically larger strain :)

15. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

It definitely doesn't look like ich. It's seems elongated attached to the fins. Try pulling one out with tweezers and see if it has something that look like "roots" at the end. It might be anchor worms.

16. OP
    OP
    s

Here is another photo of my Ryukin. Might be a bit clearer here...

IMG_1414.jpg

17. Jaysee

yeah it is, but I still don't know. I'd like to say it's ich, but they just look a little too big. I would still do a heat treatment and see what happens, if it were my fish.

18. OP
    OP
    s

Okay. Heating. Frequent water changes. Fingers crossed there is not any further outbreak!

19. Jaysee

I hope someone else weighs in on what it could be. The more I look at it the more I don't think it's ich. Although, there are smaller spots on the fish so it might be a combination of things going on.

20. OP
    OP
    s

If this is something else... Like anchor worms... What r the treatments?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice