Goldfish Ich Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Windwolf55x5, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Windwolf55x5

Windwolf55x5Valued MemberMember

Edit:
    The ich seems to be getting better pretty quickly. A lot of the spots fell off.

How long should I keep up the treatment to make sure they are all dead?

And what can I do for torn fins?

I think my goldfish may have ich, they are covered in white spots that kind of look like grains of sand. And that's basically the definition of ich from what I've read. I have no idea how they could have even got it in the first place.

My water parameters are almost always perfect. I use a liquid test kit. And I test the water right before I change it, which is 50% every week.

Ammonia varies from 0 to a color that's in between 0 and 0.25

Nitrite is always 0

Nitrate ranges from 0 to 5

The tank is a 55 gallon. It has 3 goldfish, 3 zebra nerite snails, and 1 bristle nose pleco.

I'm trying to raise the temperature to 86 degrees, it's around 82 right now and is for some reason taking forever to raise any higher. I moved the snails and pleco to another tank so I can just treat the goldfish. I just added some jungle ich clear and some aquarium salt, about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. And I had done a 50% water change before doing this.

Two of the fish are kind of inactive which worries me. They lay around at the bottom of the tank behind the driftwood. And what also worries me is that the third one has red streaks in his tail.

If there is anything else I should do please let me know. I've never had to treat ich before. I would also appreciate any information about goldfish diseases. I have not had much luck with them so far, I had just lost one a month ago to a fungal infection a week after I got her only noticing the disease after I brought her home.

Here are some pictures of them

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Keep your tank temp at 82, maybe lower actually. Doing heat treatment and medications for ich puts a lot of stress on them.

3. APierce

You might want to add another air stone and check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Windwolf55x5

My readings are all at zero right now. And I have a huge bubble wall that goes across the whole tank, it uses both my air pumps outlets. My tank also doesn't have a lid. I also have my spray bar pointing up, do you think taking it off would help more with water circulation.

5. APierce

Are they 0 from doing a ton of water changes? If you have the spray bar pointing up then it should help with surface agitation , you can also lower the level of the water a bit if you are using a hob filter. Also are you shaking and beating the number 2 nitrate bottle when you test?

6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I usually opt for the medication. Easy and you don't have to fiddle with the temperature and gauges and all the fun stuff. Plop some of that in and hope for the best.

7. OP
    OP
    Windwolf55x5

I had just done a water change today and had tested it before removing water. The one I did before that was Sunday. And yes I did shake the bottle for 30 seconds and the test tube for a minute. The nitrates just never get that high for some reason. The tank is cycled through, I've had it running for about three months now and it only took me about 2 weeks to cycle it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice