Goldfish, I Wanna Know.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LizzyP, Apr 17, 2017.

1. L

LizzyP Valued Member Member

I want to know everything there is to know about goldfish. I have an empty 55 gallon tank and I'm going back and forth between a tropical community or a few goldfish, specifically the fantails. Tell me everything you know about them. I want to make sure this will be a good idea.

Thanks!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Either tank is a good idea, it depends on what you want to keep. If you go goldfish, you'll only really get to keep 4-5. The tropical set up allows a little more variety. Similarily, the latter allows more decoration choices while the former requires their tails to be considered (if you want to deco and plant). Goldfish also require extra water changes weekly/ biweekly because they have a large bioload

Ultimately, it seems as if your excited about the goldfish because they're different; if you've had a tropical, go for the goldfish set-up (unless there is some special tropical species you want to keep) they are spunky and have great personalities (but all fish do anyways).

Check out Solid Gold Aquatics on YouTube. She is the queen of gold fishes and has great care and maintenance videos as well as showcasing her beautiful fish (her name is Jenny and has two-tone hair) She can also provide a lot more information, as well as personal experiences, than I could probably ever could.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    L

Hi, thanks so much! I've kept bettas for years so keeping tails in mind is not new to me. I've seen her on the "Recommended for you" videos so I'll check her out. Thanks!

4. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

In a 55 gallon tank you can safely keep 2 Fancy Goldfish. They get big! You can even do a planted tank if you wish. Good plants to start with are Nupher luteum (Yellow Water Lilly) and Sagittaria latifolia (Giant Arrow Head). Goldfish tend to not like the taste of Water Lillies and Sagittaria is a little tough for them to eat. If you want plants that they can eat you can try Egeria Densa (Anacharis) and Ceratophyllum demersum (Hornwort).

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

All I know is that goldfish are constantly looking for something to eat. You probably could put a 72 oz steak in there and they'll eat it.

I like Tropical because there are a varieties of different colors available.

6. dcutl002

Made my day! :D

7. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Valued Member Member

Congratulations!:) Goldfish are awesome!
    (I posed this next bit on a different thread a week ago, but I have changed it a little to post here)
    I suggest making sure you have filtration that has a flow rate of at least 10x the tank size per hour. This means a 40 gallon tank should have 400 gallons per hour of filtration. Your tank could comfortably fit two fancy goldfish for their entire lives, unless they become HUGE.
    It would be best to feed a variety of foods to your fish. My Goldfish enjoys a piece of occasional deshelled pea, Omega One small sinking  , algae wafers, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and Repashy Soilent Green gel food.
    In my opinion I would suggest against  . Unless pre-soaked, they will float on the surface of the water and when the goldfish goes to eat them, he might take in some air, which can cause swim bladder/buoyancy problems. If goldfish flakes are pre-soaked until they sink, some nutrients may be lost from the food. I've also found that it's hard to portion flakes.
    I would also suggest watching Solid Gold Aquatics videos on YouTube. She has tons of helpful information from diet to tank size.
    Bare bottom or sand substrate tanks work very well for many goldfish owners. I personally keep my tank bare bottom because I believe it really helps keep the water quality good. It's best to avoid gravel as some goldfish might try to eat it. I've heard that while fairly rare, sometimes a goldfish will attempt to swallow gravel and it can become lodged in their throats. While larger rocks such as river rocks are harmless as   in a tank (as long as they have no sharp edges), when used as substrate food and fish poop tends to get wedged between the rocks, which can cause   to build up if the river rocks are not moved around and the debris is vaccumed out often.
    Frequent partial water changes are necessary. It would be best to do 40-50% water changes at least once a week - more often if possible.
    When it comes to decor, make sure it wont rip your fish's fins. It would be best to stick to real or silk plants, as plastic plants can snag your goldfish's fins. Any other decor should have no sharp edges. Make sure not to completely fill your tank with decor because goldfish love having room to swim.
    Good luck and have fun!:)

8. Justkeepswimming01

Justkeepswimming01 Well Known Member Member

I currently have a fancy who I love- had hime for at least 4 years now. I'm planning on picking up 1-2 more tomorrow. In the 55G two goldfish is recommended- I've read that three is doable however it would mean you'd be slightly overstocked and have to do more maintain. My plan is to do a goldfish tank with a couple goldfish until my old guy passes away then converting to a tropical. You could do something similar

9. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I love both cold water goldfish tanks & tropical community tanks.

SolidGold on YouTube has some great information on goldfish keeping.

The only drawback on having goldfish is that you need to give them a lot of space whereas with a tropical community tank you can have a lot more fish.

Whatever you decide you will love it either way.

10. dcutl002

Goldfish live a long time and have a lot of personality.

11. OP
    OP
    L

I'm so conflicted now. I love the way they look but I feel like a 4 foot tank for 2 fish...or I could have a community with 30+ fish. Plus the maintenance. I guess I have a lot to think about!

12. dcutl002

Goldfish are fish capable of living a long time. I kept two fancies in a 55 gallon for almost twenty years. In addition, you can have a Planted tank with Goldfish, albeit your choices are limited to yellow water Lilly and broadleaf arrowhead. I would like to add that the Broadleaf Arrowhead adds an "Asian" look to the tank which I kinda like.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. MaddieTaylah

Which type of goldfish did you have your eye on?

14. fishandle

fishandle Valued Member Member

The answer is simple, 2 tanks!

15. MaddieTaylah

Haha I was going to suggest this! She could even do a small container pond of 40+ gallons and have 2 fancy goldfish outside if the weather permits & the use the tank inside for a tropical community.

16. OP
    OP
    L

I wish I could do 2 tanks! Hubby would not be happy at all. I live on the East Coast so winters here get rough sometimes so having fish outdoors just isn't possible.

17. MaddieTaylah

Oh well I guess you have to make a tough decision then. You could always get goldfish for the 55 gallon & buy a smaller tank down the road if you wanted to have a little tropical community tank.

18. OP
    OP
    L

A second tank isn't an option. Our house is too small (less than 1000 sq ft) and we have life plans in the next year and a half so 4 tanks (I have 2 others) just doesn't work unfortunately.

19. MaddieTaylah

Ok then, it's definetely understandable that you don't want too many tanks. Good luck choosing though! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice