Goldfish help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ashleycolbert, Jul 6, 2015.

1. a

ashleycolbert New Member Member

So I recently moved my common goldfish to a 55 gal tank from his cramped 20 gallon. I set it up ran TSS for 24 hours added the Mr. Bigs and everything was fine. The next week I got a water changing system, needed to top off the water so though what the heck let's try out this water changer... I know now big mistake since I used TSS.
    Next day noticed Mr. Bigs darting around acting crazy and knocking scales off. Tested the water and of course nitrite was 5ppm. I have been doing WC, treating with Prime, and testing with API freshwater test kit. Got the nitrites down to .25 for 3 consecutive days but had to go out of town for a week so figured that it would have to do until I got back.
    Got home tested water nitrites back to 5ppm so I did an immediate water change and treat with Prime. The next day I noticed my fish had a slight case of popeye. I have read many post on this site and figured that the best thing that I could do would be frequent water changes and add salt to the aquarium until I could get to the LFS and get some medication.
    I decided to go with Melafix since I also have 2 snails and 1 lone shrimp and it was the only thing I could find that were safe for them.
    I started my first Melafix dose today and took carbon out of the filter. My main question is if I see a spike in nitrites can I do a water change while using Melafix or will I have to start the treatment over.

Sorry for the rambling but I know some people want all the information.

Current water parameters are
    PH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: between 0&5 ppm

2. MollyPalooza

MollyPalooza Valued Member Member

MelaFix wouldn't be my go-to for popeye; I've found it to be most effective in treating cuts and abrasions, bite wounds, etc.

You might have luck with Maracyn-Two, as it treats the gram negative bacteria that cause the infection that can result in popeye. Popeye itself isn't a disease, but a symptom -- typically of a bacterial infection.

Above all, keep that water pristine!

3. OP
    OP
    a

ashleycolbert New Member Member

Thanks for the reply. Should I continue to treat with Melafix until the Maracyn 2 comes in since it will have to be ordered online? Anything else I should be doing besides keeping the water clean?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. MollyPalooza

MollyPalooza Valued Member Member

It can't hurt to continue with the Melafix, so go ahead and do so.

Aeration is nice when using meds, so if you don't already have an airstone or bubble wand, that would be a good thing to add. I see you already removed the carbon from the filter -- perfect! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice