Goldfish: Having Babies Different Colours

PeterFishKeepin

Hi all,

I have a 850 gal pond, its got around 25 large goldfish in it, around 12 comets, 8 commons and 5 shubinkins. Ive seen around 5 babies in the pond, 2-3 full black with small amount of orange on dorsal fins and 2-3 baby shubinkins, they are all same size around 8cm/3inches. So i assume they are from the same batch or layed at the same time. Ive had them for around 3-6 months, im sure there were many more but they would have been eaten, these have survived but IDK how i got full black goldies seening as i have the white/black/orange shubkins, and gold/white/orange mixture in comets/commons.

Any ideas on how I would have gotten black baby goldies??

Around 4-5 months ago i adopted some goldies from my neighbours grandpa, around 6 or so. he had around 3-5 large ponds with hundreds of goldies so he gave me some, i couldnt visit him due to covid so his grandson collected them and gave them to me, IDK if they have black goldies in their pond or not. Is it possilbe i got a female from them its laid some eggs??

WRWAquarium

I've had orange comets give birth to almost exclusively brown black babies

PeterFishKeepin

I've had orange comets give birth to almost exclusively brown black babies
Wow ok, did this goldy breed only once or did multiple times? was it orange mum and dad? were the babies ok does it cause any issues?

WRWAquarium

Wow ok, did this goldy breed only once or did multiple times? was it orange mum and dad? were the babies ok does it cause any issues?
You will have to forgive me Peter. This was a long time ago in my mum's big pond. There was orange comets, red white sarasa and shubunkins all spawning. There may have been some brown but don't remember any.

There is an interesting thread: My goldfish babies look nothing like their parents... | Goldfish Forum | 425620

The babies were fine any I rehomed many to live long lives. Think most stayed brown with gold sides.

PeterFishKeepin

oh that's ok, just a reply is pleasing let alone one that comes from experience and understanding so thanks ill check out that thread.

Coradee

Hi, from what I can remember when I had pond goldies the fry were born mostly black & slowly turned yellow/gold as they matured. That may not be 100% the case with yours as you have shubunkins in the mix, time will tell what colour they’ll end up you’ll enjoy watching if their colour changes :)

PeterFishKeepin

Thanks for sharing your knowledge ill keep monitoring them as they grown and develop.

chromedome52

Many Goldfish are born black/brown and change color when they mature.

jtjgg

almost all goldfish will lose the black/brown/olive color when they get older, some sooner, some later. black is the most unstable color, even many Black Moors lose their black after a few years.

Understanding Color in Goldfish Article

here's some of mine changing from the baby black Goldfish Color change | Pond Fish Forum | 145357

a few years ago there were some "blackout comets" from a breeder. haven't heard any about them since. as far as i know only 1 place sells them. and from a video they posted, they're only black on top, the bellies are gold/bronze

PeterFishKeepin

I was looking at blackout comets and saw some on NextDayKoi a couple days ago.

Thanks for your help, ive now seen 2 black ones coming up to feed with the rest of my fish! ill get photos later today if i can

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AverageDewdrop
Replies
Views
sassymomma
Replies
Views
Jim2195
  • Question
Replies