Goldfish has Bulging eyes

OperaGhostOG

I’m going to use the emergency template so you guys have all the info
Here is the story: Two weeks ago Michael, the oranda, was having some swim bladder issues. We fed him peas for a couple days and he was back to normal. The other two fish were fine and never had any symptoms. A week later we picked up a rubber lipped pleco to help with algae. I don’t know what happened but he died three days ago (a couple days after getting him) Then the next day Michael had large swollen eyes. I got the pleco from a place I trusted and where I’ve always gotten my fish so I didn’t think about quarantining. I know now that I should’ve. What can I do to help Michael?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 3 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? 75
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 3 fancy goldfish (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change?1/2
What do you use to treat your water?prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? It’s bare bottom

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master freshwater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: somewhere between 0 ppm and 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? A couple pinched
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Not anymore

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Two days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Around his eyes looks swollen
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He’s a little lethargic
Temp is in Fahrenheit, I forgot to say
I didn’t even notice until I posted that picture but there are white spots all over two of them. Is it ich? If so how do I fix that?

Noroomforshoe

It looks like ich. I would ad ich X for that. And melefix for the eye and for the wounds that ich will leave behind. If the eye gets worse, not better, try an Epsom salt dip for 15 minutes.

Upvote 1

OperaGhostOG

It looks like ich. I would ad ich X for that. And melefix for the eye and for the wounds that ich will leave behind. If the eye gets worse, not better, try an Epsom salt dip for 15 minutes.
Stores where I live are closing now so I’ll have to get that stuff tomorrow. I wasn’t sure what to do so when I googled it, it said to put a cup of aquarium salt in the tank. So thats all I’ve done so far.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I hope you didnt just toss a random cup of aquarium salt in the tank. Its 1-3 EDIT=teaspoons! Not tablespoons, SORRY
per gallon of tank water. when you do a water change, only add salt to the new water, and aim for lower amounts/1 tablspoon per gallon. Because your water changes will only remove some of the salt. And it is easy to build up salt this way.

Upvote 0

OperaGhostOG

I hope you didnt just toss a random cup of aquarium salt in the tank. Its 1-3 tablspoons per gallon of tank water. when you do a water change, only add salt to the new water, and aim for lower amounts/1 tablspoon per gallon. Because your water changes will only remove some of the salt. And it is easy to build up salt this way.
I did a 50 percent water change and added a little less than a cup of salt. I read to do a tablespoon for every three gallons but I did a little less. So for 55 gallons 16 tablespoons. Is that right?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

If you did a tablespoon of salt for every 3 gallons, You did I teaspoon per gallon., that would be the minimum recommended online. I have never used the salt method to cure ich, I can not tell You if that is enough. I think if I were you, I would see how the fish reacted to the addition of salt, And if they seem ok, consider adding more. It is probably for the best to add it slowly! hopefully someone else with chime in here, someone who has used salt to cure ich.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views
Deewings
Replies
Views
MeowMadz
Replies