Goldfish has bloody cloudy eyes

FrillyLily

He is swimming normally, he eats, he looks fine all the way around. The other fish in the tank look fine, no issues. I just did a water change yesterday -same as I alway do. I have well water, no cholorine ect. I went to feed them tonight and noticed this one fish who has both of his eyes look bloody around them, cloudy like almost a film over the actual eye. No texture like bumps or fuzzy looking stuff. No bulging or swelling. One eye looks like it might be set inwards too far. He looked fine last night when I fed them, so whatever this is it happened fast. I can't imagine an injury, unlikey to affect both sides at once? how odd. I don't know what to do for him. ? Should I quarantine him? I don't want to stress him but maybe treat him w an antibiotic? I have added no new fish, the tank and the whole shebang has been going now for 18 months. I also don't see any thing in the tank he could have gotten caught on injured on. It is a 65 gallon tank, I don't have much decor in it, lots of swimming space, I have not noticed anyone fighting ect. Any ideas I'd appreciate!

FrillyLily

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 65 gal
How long has the tank been running? 18 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? 72
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 goldfish, all veiltails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1x wk
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? nothing, I have well water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? I don't ever test, never have
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1 x day
How much do you feed your fish? I feed them enough to take them about 15 min to eat it
What brand of food do you feed your fish? different things, sink pellets Omega, Tetra Flakes, Dried fly larvae, peas, banana,
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes the flies I think? and tubifex worms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 18 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? both eyes at the same time, bloody around them-like coming from behind, cloudy film over eyes, no raised spots, fuzzy or bumps
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?N/A
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no he seems fine. The other 2 fish are fine, nothing at all wrong.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Oh, I should note, that he just has ordinary eyes, he is not a moor or those kind w the big eyes that pop out, just plain eyes. He has never had any injury that I know of, he was small when I got him, 1" long and now is about 4 inches long. I have had no health issues w him whatsoever at all since I've had him, not even when I bought him.

Upvote 0

FrillyLily

I put him in a 10 gallon tank this morning, by himself. He has a bubbler and I put in Furan2 cause that is what I have on hand. I will see how this goes. I don't know what the initial problem is, but this should keep him from getting a secondary bacterial infection I hope. He is still behaving perfectly normal and the other 2 fish in the tank are still fine. I am baffled as to what has happened to him. ?

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

To me your issue is that you did not cycle tank and without testing to me it sounds like the uncycled tank is catching up to your fish. It does seem like bacteria infection but I am not 100% sure so hopefully someone else chimes in too.

Upvote 0

FrillyLily

Well I suppose a cycle could fluctuate over time one way or the other regardless. I have not had any issues w any of the three until this, in 18 months time. Still today the other 2 are fine. I didn't figure cylcing the tank was that important since I do large water changes regularly. I know a lot of people try to pack too many fish into a tank that is too small. I mean I change 1/2 the water out every week.

I wonder if he could have injured himself on something and it got infected? Like a small scrape or a little cut? He still looks bad. But he doesn't look worse. I am just following the directions on the Furan, and vac the debris out of the bottom of his Qtank daily. So far I have not fed him anything yet. I guess time will tell if he gets better, I may never know what caused it. Just so glad the others didn't get anything like it.

Upvote 0

Andystanks

Might be a bacteria infection

Upvote 0

FrillyLily

I have been treating him with furan 2 and the cloudy stuff went away, his eyes both look good now and he did not lose any vision that I can tell. I still have him in a Q tank and I switched him to FishMox (Amoxil antibiotic) and he is not doing better. He still swims fine, acts like nothing is wrong and eats like normal. I am doing daily water changes. But the red/sore is not going away. I just stared him on the new one yesterday so I'll see how that goes. At this point it does not look infected though, just raw but it looks like a larger area than when I first noticed it at the beginning.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Top Bottom