Goldfish Hanging Out At Bottom Of Tank Help

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by quirklly, Aug 7, 2019.

1. quirklly

quirkllyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Tank
    What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 5 days
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have a heater? no
    What is the water temperature? 65-70 degrees
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) goldfish (looks ryukin-y?) common pleco

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? planned once a week, previously once every 2-3 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? 40-50%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime Aquarium Water Conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate when it was in tank (moved recently so the substrate is not in tank)

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
    What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Aquarium Mini pH Test Kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. unsure, test kit was thrown away by previous caretaker

Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? once in the morning once at night
    How much do you feed your fish? enough for fish to eat for 30-45 seconds
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon Goldfish Granules
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? not since the move

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? a year, kept with grandma for about 6 months while I lived in dorms
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? hanging out at the bottom-front corner of the tank and floating without movement
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? symptoms?

I've recently gotten my goldfish back from my grandmother, who was watching over it while I lived in the dorms at college. It's in a 55-gallon tank. I would come home as often as I could to change the water because my grandmother could not do it herself because the top of the tank was above her shoulder. I even paid my younger brother to do it in my absence. Water changes weren't as often as I'd like them to be, but they were still done.
    When I transported the goldfish I made sure to keep as much of the water it had and to not change the filters when I set up the tank 3 hours away in my new house. On moving day, the goldfish was fine, it swam normally and ate its food and seemed to be unbothered by the long drive minutes before. The next day and the days following it started hanging out at the bottom-front corner of the tank. It's also doing this thing where it just floats like it has swim bladder, but it doesn't move it just sit still for a couple of seconds and floats to the top of the tank (tail up).
    I called my grandmother to ask if the fish had been doing this in my absence and she confirmed that it's something that goldfish do. I don't think that's just something goldfish do. When I came to pick up the goldfish it seemed fine, swimming normally, no long pauses without movement. She even told me that she had been feeding it the algae wafers you feed to your plecos and that a couple of days prior the fish had gotten stuck in some tank decor. She explained that she had been feeding wafers because the goldfish refused to eat the pellets she purchased & she wasn't going to buy the brand I had when I gave the goldfish to her. All the goldfish food she handed to me either floated or was crazy small for the size of my goldfish. I've been feeding the pellets that seem like a good size but float for a long while before sinking. I know it eats the live plants in the tank, but the pellets are usually gone by the time I'm done feeding my other fish (in other tanks).
    I moved in on Saturday, today is Wednesday, should I do an early water change? I don't know the PH of my tank because my grandmother threw away the kit because she didn't deem it necessary for a goldfish. I'm not sure what to do or if it is even a problem at all.
    Thank you for reading have a nice day!

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I might've missed something... But you say it's been running for five days, but it's cycled?

3. OP
    OP
    quirklly

quirkllyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, uncycled. I misread.

4. OP
    OP
    quirklly

quirkllyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry, uncycled. I misread.

5. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Alright, then water parameters could definitely be a factor.
    I see you have a pH test, but no other tests? If possible buy the API liquid test kit containing tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. As of right now I'd probably do a large water change and see if it has any effect.

6. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,474
    Experience:
    2 years
    could be ammonia poisoning.

since you have Prime, you can do a fish in cycle. Do a large water change, 50-75%, use a double dose of Prime to help detox any remaining ammonia. Prime works for up to 48hrs. So repeat the large water change and double dose of Prime every 2 days.

also what filter do you have? do you know about customizing the bio media? here's The Guide: Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters