Goldfish Grading

1. LWormy Member Member

Hello! I recently realized that there are actually competitions for goldfish and stuff. I want to know how they grade the goldfish. I have a fantail and a common goldfish and I can't seems to find information about how to grade them. Any helps?

2. FiscCyning Member Member

While I don't have personal experience with goldfish and their grading, the grading criteria for show fish usually is based off a combination of factors like size, body and fin shape, proportions, and color. Here is a page that might help with goldfish standards for the different varieties: http://www.solidgoldfish.com/2013/01/goldfish-varieties-standards.html

3. LWormy Member Member

Thanks for the info! It look like my fantail is not high grade ones though, but it's okay. His tail is really long, it is as long as his body. Well, whatever. I love him just the same. :)

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

You won't usually find competition grade fish in pet stores. The breeders will usually sell their comp grade fish for much more and the lesser grades tend to go to pet stores (This is a sweeping generalization I must admit). You will usually know if you have a comp grade fish, or at least, your wallet will :)

I think poeticinjustices has been looking into the grading side of things lately (she's gone away for a few days so may not have any info for you at the moment, but i have a thread she gave me some great advice on... https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/goldfish/173715-what-kind-goldfish-these.html really interesting stuff!)xx

5. LWormy Member Member

Thanks for the info!

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

7. LWormy Member Member

Thanks!

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yep I don't really know much about grading, just a little digging out of curiosity when I bought my hobby-grade ranchus. I know you've got your petstore grade, hobby grade and show grade goldfish. I know that there are some seriously crazy factors that come into play here. I've heard mention of eye width, I think depth of caudal peduncle, symmetry, tail fin angles, fusing/split of the double-tails. It gets pretty wild and the list goes on and on. If you really want to get it into it, you could check out goldfishkeepers. There's lots of talk about competition grade goldies there. It's interesting stuff, at the very least. I like my hobby-grade. Raised right, good genes, adorable fish. It feels like a happy medium. The extent of exaggeration I've seen on some show grade fish made my stomach hurt a little. But there are some seriously beautiful show fish as well. I do vaguely remember something about a pet store fish that won a champion title in show. I may just be making that up or remembering it all twisted like, but it was something extraordinary like that.

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I can imagine someone buying a tiny little fish and finding out it's a show stopper. Many LFS don't really know what they're dealing with and to the untrained eye they are simply, all beautiful. Though I can see someone spotting something in the back of a tank, probably a mislabeled bargain, knowing what they have.

I have looked at some show fish and it's a bit like looking at some pure bred dogs who, whilst being stunning, have breathing problems and things as they have been bred to exaggerate specific features.

This being said, I would love to own a really nice Lionhead and I am on a mission to find one!x

10. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Best of luck on your search for a perfect lion head. Be prepared to pay high dollar though, they can get pricey. There is an online auction, the site slips my name, every few weeks with what are considered perfect specimens of goldfish. I'll try to poster the web address later today. This may help you locate your dream Goldie and LWormy with seeing what is considered show quality.

EDIT: Just thought if it, dandyorandas.com

11. LWormy Member Member

There are actually good lionheads on ebay if you can find it. They are all around 50-100 dollar though. I don't care about the breed, I would love my fish just as much even if they are the commonest of the common goldfish.

12. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately I am in England. Thanks all the same :)

13. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

LWormy, I agree with you. Sometimes, fish health is sacrificed over esthetics. This is why I don't powerfeed my Flowerhorn. The little guy in your avatar is a cutie.

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

That's how I felt about my ranchus. I wanted one perfect ranchu. Chubby belly, cute colors, slight tail tuck. I got her and, well, two others lol. And they are really special fish, I can't get over it. It's not because I paid more for them that makes them special.

It's because I know 100% they were raised well and are healthy little fish. Moreover, I was drawn in by the passion and sensitivity of the breeder. It's kind of like the opposite of owning a dog. I prefer to rescue all of my dogs from rescues but, for fish, I now prefer to buy from a breeder, particularly one whose passion I can see and stand behind. It's how I think goldfish need to be raised, they don't belong in pet stores.

I agree with you LWormy and Rivieraneo - sometimes with the show grade fish, it's just too much. It becomes more about the vanity than the welfare of the fish. But hobby grade? These are beautiful fish in good health raised with love and care. They are not show-grade and I can see why if I really look for it, but they're perfect little fish. And that isn't to undermine my pet store babies either, I LOVE them. But honestly, shipping not included, I paid almost as much for Motley as I did for Chise and she's a special needs fish who survived a LONG stint in the pet store despite all of it. I can't really get behind even the best pet stores anymore, it's starting to all just look like harm reduction at best. I would so much rather know the money I spent on my fish went to further properly caring for other fish rather than just purchasing more fish to crowd the tanks with.

You did a really special thing, rescuing your goldies the way you did. The one you've posted looks adorable and you should be very proud.

15. LWormy Member Member

I can't agree more, and thank you for the compliment. Goldfish are my favorite and I hate to see them suffer. They just seem so human, if you know what I mean.