Goldfish gasping for air?

utum0705

Reaction score
I was looking at past posts and noticed people mentioning about their goldfish being at the surface a lot. Since there was no direct answer I would like to bring the question up again. The goldfish doesn't stay permanently at the surface but would head to the surface quite often. Is that normal or is it starving for oxygen?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is the tank? It's probably either because the tank lacks surface area for oygen or the tank is too hot.

utum0705

Reaction score
There are only two tiny goldfishes (about an inch in length) in a 2.5 gallon tank.

utum0705

Reaction score
I stuck my finger at the surface and it was cool to the touch ( I don't have a thermometer yet). Generally, do fishes go to the surface every once in a while?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
utum0705 said:
There are only two tiny goldfishes (about an inch in length) in a 2.5 gallon tank.
That is the problem, a 2.5 gallon aquarium is too small for goldfishes that can get up to 10-12 inches. The small tank is too small and provides too little of a surface area which is why they're gasping for air.

utum0705

Reaction score
Ohhh...I did not know that. Well it was a starter kit. Let me ask you this then. Why would they make 2.5 gallons then? For smaller fishes?

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
u can put a small under gravel filter in that 2.5 gallon tank that will supply oxygen too.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have a similar thread going about the filter and since I'm lazy and don't want to re-type all that heres the link

Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
utum0705 said:
Ohhh...I did not know that. Well it was a starter kit. Let me ask you this then. Why would they make 2.5 gallons then? For smaller fishes?
It probably was a minibow starter tank. Minibow isn't a very good company... : It probably was made for smaller fishes like bettas or guppies.

utum0705

Reaction score
It is a Minibow

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the companies that make tanks often care more about making money than you having healthy fish. I've seen some of those 2.5s that are pictured on the front of the box with about 5 goldfish in them. Most people here would argue that a 2.5 gallon tank isn't really big enough for ANY fish, though you could probably manage 2 guppies in one, and its OK for a betta (if you visit the betta forum you will notice that many people over there wouldn't dream of anything smaller than a 3 g. for their babies.

New fish owners often are misinformed, about goldies and bettas especially (my three favorite fish are goldies, bettas, and guppies), that they can be kept in containers far too small for them.

The general rule suggested here is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and ten gallons for each additional fish, although you can find all kinds of formulas online for how to figure the size of tank you need. If you follow one of these formulas, please remember that your fish will grow to be 10-12 inches - so if you buy a small tank now you will have to upgrade when your fish grow. If you cannot afford a set up for 30gallons at the moment, you might consider temporarily getting a ten gallon tank until you can afford it, since your fish are still small. Just make sure there is plenty of aeration, and please buy a 30 gallon as soon as possible. Goldfish need high oxygen content in their water and also are large waste producers for their size. A larger tank will result in happier, healthier fish, and less stress on you because you won't have to do water changes as often.

Goldfishcare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
You have a similar thread going about the filter and since I'm lazy and don't want to re-type all that heres the link

Carol
Butterfly thats my quote.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You are exactly right Goldfishcare!!!! Must have had a senior moment But the advice stands ( I know I'm lazy for not re-typing it )
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom