Goldfish Fungal Infection? URGENT

kamvas

My goldfish are currently in a residence I have not been able to move into yet, visited today because I was notified they looked sick:

IMG_9506.jpg
IMG_9507.jpg

They just look terrible. Roomate said they looked completely healthy and normal just yesterday (she feeds them every morning, I trust her). They are a Calico Fantail and a Telescope goldfish, both anywhere from 5-7 years old by now if my memory is correct. I am desperate for help, I'm not sure if I even have fish vets in the area or how I would go about doing that. Is this a fungal infection? I apologize but I do not have any test kits on me and can't get one for a while, I need urgent help on to what I can do now. I can test the nitrates in a few hours but that is all I can get a read on.

I'm worried about stressing them out but I'm also worried about not doing enough for them. Should I clean the gravel? Should I separate them from each other? Should I treat them with salt? Are they too far gone?

I gave them a 5ml dose of Melafix since that is the only medicine I have on me at the time. I'm so scared I'll just wake up tomorrow and they'll be dead though. I want to know everything I can do to help, I will also continue to look for a vet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? It is a 10 gallon
How long has the tank been running? Since I first got it a few years ago
Does it have a filter? Yes (carbon filter cartridge type one)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Telescope and Fantail Goldfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 20 percent
What do you use to treat your water? I filter it and use a solution that removes chlorine
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? I only have a nitrate kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every Morning
How much do you feed your fish? I watch and let them eat what they need, try to remove the leftovers
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari Goldfish food
Do you feed frozen? Rarely they get bloodworms when I have them
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5-7 years or so
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Stringy fins, white stuff all over them
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, first dose of Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Both fish are actually still fairly active, and ate when fed this morning. But they are sitting/?resting? a lot in the corner on the floor like the picture. The telescope is much more active than the fantail.

For reference, here is how they looked before they were sick:

IMG_9511.jpg

Sorry for such a long post, but I also want to add, that the telescope has also had a red mark in one of his eyes for a while. Sorry I do not have a picture of that as of now

PeterFishKeepin

Welcome to fishlore :)

Sad you had to join during a tough period in your fish keeping life.

Sorry if this comes across rude but the 10gal tank you have is waaaayyyyy tooooo smaallllll for 2 fancy goldfish, they should together be in a tank minimum 40gals.

Goldfish tanks need atleast 50% wc each week IMO or 75%+ water change every 2 weeks.

Idk what is wrong with your fish but they look quite sick, you should do a good 75% or more water change, also how do you do water changes do you have a gravel vac or do you just remove some water in a cup then add back in??

You really need to find out your water parameters, (pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) you can buy a test kit or go to your lfs (local fish store) and they should be able to test the water, write down the results and let us know.

Hope this helps and others will comment soon i hope with their opinion.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kinsey12345
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
Zeon
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Luckyscale2003

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom