Goldfish Friends?

1. Linzlion Initiate Member

Edit: the tank is actually 35 gallons and is temporary until we can afford to get the 55 gallon set up.
    I have a 10.5 in goldfish (Spot) that my brother bought as feed for his Oscar 2~ years ago... obviously he never got eaten and just chilled and grew in this enormous 75 gallon tank with carnivorous fish. So we took him, but he's stressing out our community tank. So we're in the process of setting up his own tank and he definitely needs a friend. He is huge, and I'm not entirely sure what type of goldfish he is since he was bought as stock fish.
    I will say that I don't like orandas or bubble eyed Goldies... putting it bluntly, I find them ugly.
    So 1. What kind of goldfish does spot look like and 2. What kind of friend would be good for him?
  2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Is he a fancy (his tail will fan out into 2 tails when viewed from above) or a single tail?

If he's a fancy I would just get one more fancy goldfish as goldfish are very social. If he is a singletail he needs a much bigger tank.

Could you take a picture of him from above?

3. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

If he's a feeder he's probably a common/comet fish. They wouldent feed fancies to other fish.

Your 55g tank isn't anywhere near big enough for him. He was still growing in the 75. A 55g tank is only 12" wide, that's almost as long as the fish.

But to answer the original question, yes goldies love attention so either a friend (but your tank is to smal) or I have mine where there is always someone waking past. Plus the cat jumps onto the tank so he gets to follow the cat around. Dojo loaches work with the cooler water as well.
  4. Linzlion Initiate Member

Single tail. I know he's going to get enormous, just like koi do. I refuse to keep him in uncomfortably small aquariums and will find a home in a pond for him when he outgrows the 55 we have. I firmly believe that fish are just as much pets as cats or dogs. He will always have a caring, loving home. But while he's still growing, I'll care for him and continue to research (goldies are my favorite) until I find him a suitable place to live out his many years.

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

How long in total have you had him? 2 years?
  6. Linzlion Initiate Member

We've had him since March. My brother had him for about 2 years before us.
  7. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

If he's only 2 years old he can still grow a lot. :)

8. BlissfulBetta Well Known Member Member

Even 55 gallons will be quite small for this guys especially because he is so large. It is recommended to have at least 100 gallons for the first common/comet goldfish and an additional 50 gallons for each additional fish. :)
  9. Shane Dostie Member Member

I would just start up an indoor pond in a garage. It's very easy to find setups online and I plan on building a pond too for my shubunkin goldfish. Good luck!
  10. Linzlion Initiate Member

We don't have a garage unfortunately. So which is why I'm looking for a loving pond home for him. I'd die for a landscape type pond big enough for him and a few more (even koi...ugh so beautiful) but our community doesn't allow that kind of thing. I can't even leave my kids' little pool out overnight... and landscaping - I'm not allowed to have climbing plants etc. I still plan on Goldfish keeping once I have to part with my beloved Spot, but obviously breeds that won't get so massive.