Question Goldfish Food

Henrique Da Costa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a new baby oranda and I’ve been feeding him some omega one small goldfish pellets , but about how many should I give if I’m feeding twice a day , considering he’s still a small fish? I just want to make sure what I’m giving isn’t too small or too much.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The general rule of thumb is to feed about the size of the eye, but since goldfish don't have stomachs, it's better to space out feedings more than other fish. If you can only feed twice a day, that's totally fine, feed about two eyeballs worth of food per day. If you can space it out a bit more, that would be best, but not necessary.
I love goldfish, and it's great to see people who know about the nitrogen cycle keeping them

OP
Henrique Da Costa

Henrique Da Costa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
The general rule of thumb is to feed about the size of the eye, but since goldfish don't have stomachs, it's better to space out feedings more than other fish. If you can only feed twice a day, that's totally fine, feed about two eyeballs worth of food per day. If you can space it out a bit more, that would be best, but not necessary.
I love goldfish, and it's great to see people who know about the nitrogen cycle keeping them
Thank you for the advice , I appreciate it !!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Henrique Da Costa said:
Thank you for the advice , I appreciate it !!
No problem!! We're here to help, we've got a couple of good goldfish keepers here, so we'll be able to help if you have more questions

OP
Henrique Da Costa

Henrique Da Costa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
No problem!! We're here to help, we've got a couple of good goldfish keepers here, so we'll be able to help if you have more questions
I'm glad to hear that, keeping fish can be pretty difficult unfortunately!!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Especially goldfish! So many people think they're great for beginners, but they get so big!

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Henrique Da Costa said:
I have a new baby oranda and I’ve been feeding him some omega one small goldfish pellets , but about how many should I give if I’m feeding twice a day , considering he’s still a small fish? I just want to make sure what I’m giving isn’t too small or too much.
Hello, goldies are known grazers in wild so to remedy this I usually keep a piece of cucumber in tank for them to snack on(seems to keep swimming issues in check). You can also feed peas(boiled skin removed). Hope this helps!
20190326_173117.jpg

OP
Henrique Da Costa

Henrique Da Costa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Michael.j.gomez said:
Hello, goldies are known grazers in wild so to remedy this I usually keep a piece of cucumber in tank for them to snack on(seems to keep swimming issues in check). You can also feed peas(boiled skin removed). Hope this helps!
20190326_173117.jpg
Thank you so much

OP
Henrique Da Costa

Henrique Da Costa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Especially goldfish! So many people think they're great for beginners, but they get so big!
Definitely not a beginner fish !!

New Threads