Goldfish food for betta?

1. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

I have 2 cans of fish food I use to feed my 4 fish: 2 mollies, a betta, and a Cory cat. The food I use is betta min flakes and tetra goldfish flakes. Is it alright to mix these food and have that be there flake part of their diet? Also, if that is alright, what kinds of "treats" do I add to their diet? I heard frozen blood worms are good.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

I also use different food for the Cory cat

3. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

If possible, I would exchange "Goldfish" food for tropical flakes if you prefer to feed flakes. Goldfish foods will have more vegetable material as they do not need as much protiens. The betta will prefer a higher protien diet and the cory cat will prefer sinking foods.

As for the blood worms, yes they will most likely appreciate those. I usually will thaw the cube in a small glass with some tank water and drop some in with a turkey baster. If the cube is too much, I've put it in the refrigerator with a cover (saran wrap) to keep it from drying out and fed a little more the next day.

What size tank do you have? If possible, the cory would be a lot happier with a school of the same breed.

Also is the tank heated with filtration?

4. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

Well I was just wondering if it would harm the betta for there to be a little goldfish food mixed in with his usual food:)
    Also, how often do I feed blood worms to the betta?
    And yes, my tank (20 gal)has a filter, but no heater, but it is 75 degrees.

5. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there!

I don't think the food will be directly harmful mixed in with normal betta food. I'm guessing it's just that goldfish are omnivorous so their foods tend to have a higher veg content (you can check the ingredients and compare to be sure though), which does not have as much nutritional value for the betta. I think they can be a little difficult to digest since bettas' GI tracts are designed for carnivorous/insectivorous munching, but if he happens to grab a few pieces now and again I would not stress too much. I don't know that there's anything that would be toxic to him in there though, if that's what you mean. The size of the flakes might be problematic too though.

That said, I'm not sure about the dietary needs of the rest of your fish but I imagine they are different from a goldfish, so they might also benefit from the exchange for tropical flakes as well. Just to be sure everyone is getting what they need from their food, you know?

As to bloodworms - I feed bloodworms or some other frozen nummy about twice a week in place of one meal of regular food. I think a lot of people use them as sort of a treat but I have heard members here who feed them more regularly too. The idea is to give your boy a balanced and interesting diet :)

6. EachUisge Initiate Member

I fed my young betta a goldfish flake every once in a while just because he likes them a lot. It isn't harmful, just not very nutritious so they shouldn't have them very often... I gave Jester one flake a month if that and he doesn't get them at all anymore. Also our goldfish like betta flakes, so on rare occasions I switch the food around to keep them interested in flakes (and they can actually make a dent in the flakes, otherwise they mostly sit on the shelf for months). The goldies sometimes get into moods where they only want the veggies we give them as treats or those funny little red flakes with the tiny yellow crunchy things lol... *sigh*