Goldfish Fin Trouble

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RobL, Jun 21, 2018.

1. R

RobL New Member Member

About 10 days ago I noticed a section of missing tail fin with a red outline on one of my goldfish. Since he seemed to be otherwise perfectly healthy, I simply performed a 25% water change and added some salt to see how things progressed.

By the end of the week, prominent red veins appeared between the tail of the fish and the missing fin section. I performed a 50% water change and have now begun dosing the tank with Kanaplex under the assumption that it is an infection that seems to be getting worse. Since then, small veins have also appeared on the lower pelvic fins. As when I first noticed the issue, I have still noticed no changes in behavior or appetite (or any other abnormalities anywhere else on the body).

I'm wondering if someone could help in identifying and providing any advice on his situation.

Current tank parameters:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 20-40 ppm
    pH - 7.6
    Temp - 75 F / 23 C

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

what size tank and what breed of goldfish?

3. OP
    OP
    R

RobL New Member Member

Was going to add that, must have forgotten. It's a comet goldfish in a 55 gallon aquarium. There are two other common goldfish in the tank with him, all three under two years of age.

4. FishFor2018

You could probably build an indoor pond for them since the tank is a little small but I don’t think that’s the problem

So sometimes it caused by high ammonia levels but you said your ammonia was 0 so the that leads me to this: the fin rips are most likely from bullying and the red veins mean that the fish are stressed. Now we just need to figure out why. Do they ever hang out near the filter?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    R

RobL New Member Member

They do hang out under the filter to rest at night since it has the lowest water flow in the tank at that one position.

As for bullying and stress, the only thing I could think of is that one of the other goldfish happens to be mostly blind. He occasionally nips at anything he bumps into which is what I suspected caused the initial tail damage to begin with but he's never actually caused any damage before. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any particularly aggressive or stress related actions from any of them.

6. FishFor2018

interesting, the only thing i can think of now is the tank size. You could always build a 100-150 gallon indoor pond for cheaper and do some of it Diy or just do an outdoor pond. But you probably don't want to build a pond. i know i wouldn't lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice