1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Goldfish Fin Rot

1. MinhMai

MinhMai Valued Member Member

Hi guys so I have a new red oranda in QT with QT meds: Metronidazole, praziquantel, erythromycin, kordon rid ich plus. He's started developing a non-ragged uniform white edge to his caudal fins so I was thinking it was fungal fin rot. He's a bit on the lethargic side and quite skittish for a goldfish. Anything else I should do at this point or should I wait it out?

Happy 4th my fellow Americans!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why are you treating with those meds?

For the QT tank, how often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing? Fin rot can usually be cured with large, frequent changes.

What are the water parameters in the QT tank (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

Because I assume all goldfish fish that came out of petsmart have some latent bacterial infection, worm ridden, and ich infested. The tank parameters are clean bc I do water changes q48hrs. Plus one of his former tank mates didn't look very healthy.

Advertisement

4. TexasDomer

That's a lot of meds at one time for a stressed, possibly not-sick fish.

I QT for 4 weeks to watch for diseases popping up and then treating. I don't add meds unnecessarily as that could stress out and sicken your fish.

I would stop the meds and do large, frequent water changes to cure the fin rot.

5. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

Well I'm not risking it last time I put a goldfish into the main display without medicated quarantine the tank got anchor worm after 3 months. Never had that disease in particular before.

6. TexasDomer

I don't think the meds you're using would treat anchor worm anyway.

7. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

After the end of this 1st week the meds are being stopped. I can't put him into the main tank yet anyway bc it still has anchor worm. I just treated the main tank for visible ich a month ago with salt and heat and now this new thing popped up out of nowhere.

8. TexasDomer

How are you treating for anchor worm?

9. OP
    OP
    MinhMai

I'm going to hit it with mardel clout when it arrives since clean water and physically removing them hasn't been working and this most recent one is lodged under the gill plate where I can't get it.