Help Goldfish feeding problem!

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OK I got 1X Black Moor and 1X Calico Fantail yesterday, they are both around 1-1.5 inches so thy are very small.
They have been quite active and digging around in the substrate and generally looking healthy.

When I got to feed them flake and some frozen brine shrimp the fantail will nab some pieces that it can see but the moor just ignores them and carries on digging in the gravel!

When I put an Algae wafer in the tank BOTH of them will just graze on one for hours but they wont touch flake or frozen!!!

I have goldfish pellets and sticks in they float rather than sink and they seem like they wont eat anything that is not on the substrate!

I understand that I can't just feed them algae wafers.

Please help! I worried that they won't get enough nutrition!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I think your fish need more time to adapt to their new surroundings. Eventually they will learn where the food is

Remember, do not over feed your fish simply because you may not see them eating. Stick with your feeding routine, don't add extra food

Ken

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OK thanks for that! There is a real temptation to overfeed just the see them eat something! LOL

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol I know. Sometimes I think, Ohhh just one more bite! lol But I don't give them that 1 more bite. Over feeding can lead to lots of other issues.

Ken

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's very easy to teach your goldfish to come to your fingers for food. By hand feeding you can eliminate a lot of guess work of who's eating how much and excess food left scattered in the tank. I'm sure your goldies will learn quickly as well. algae wafers are fine and I'd suggest pre-soaking pellets type food with a little of tank water. Also, teach them to eat some veges. cheers!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom