Goldfish Enrichment?

Salem

Last fall we moved our 3 (comet) goldfish from our outdoor pond into what was going to be a temporary indoor pond (both around 150g). The outdoor pond had a crack in the plastic lining and we had feared it had drained too much to safely over-winter. Since moving them inside my father has come to the realization that he much prefers them here as he can see them much more clearly and interact with them.
Our outdoor pond had a lot of things in it- rocks, sticks, natural caves, plants, etc- but the indoor one is pretty bare. I put some old plastic plants in and move them around every so often to give them some change of scenery. However, now knowing that pond is going to be more permanent I'd like to put more things in it to enrich the environment.
I'd like to add things like terracotta pots as hides but I worry about taking up a lot of room. The largest of the trio is around 7" long and I know putting in a pot big enough for him to sit in would take up a decent chunk of space. Might try and break a pot in half so its a bit smaller but still big enough to go in- thoughts? Any other suggestions on things to put in?

wateriswet

I think you're already doing a pretty good job with giving them a large space, friends to play with, and changing up the layout. Something I'd recommend is feeding them a variety of food including fresh veggies like organic salad greens, blanched zucchini and cucumber, or small amounts of deshelled frozen peas or blood worms.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

I think you're already doing a pretty good job with giving them a large space, friends to play with, and changing up the layout. Something I'd recommend is feeding them a variety of food including fresh veggies like organic salad greens, blanched zucchini and cucumber, or small amounts of deshelled frozen peas or blood worms.
I agree, especially for goldfish a varied diet is essential. Mine typically get greens 2-3 times a week, pellets the other days and very occasionally live brine shrimp (semi-mature - bigger goldfish won't pay that much attention to baby brine shrimp). Live foods are a form of enrichment too.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
  • MeganRenee
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
bigbro1959