Goldfish Eating Goldfish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by YellowFish13, Apr 22, 2019.

1. YellowFish13Well Known MemberMember

I have a 110 gallon stock tank with one tiny goldfish. I swear, this goldfish DOES NOT GROW. I have had it 7 months, and it has grown 3 cm at most. I would say it is 2 inches. Anyway, I have come across a 7-8 inch goldfish (long story about how I acquired it). I am going to add this goldfish into the 110 gallon, but am nervous he is going to get eaten. If he really tried, I think he could fit the small one into his mouth? What are the chances he could actually eat it? The small one is very, very fast, so he would really have to chase him, to eat him.

I added a video of a size comparison between the two. The large one is currently acclimating to the big tank. Sorry for the lighting, tank is in my garage

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Hm, probably couldn't eat it, but probably will try. I tried putting my 7" common with a 2" fancy, the common tried to eat the tail of the little one, but they eventually got along. Their mouths only open maybe 3/4" tall and a little less wide at that size, so as long as it's more than 3/4" wide, it should be okay, but there could be some roughhousing

3. YellowFish13Well Known MemberMember

Okay. The small one is quite the survivor, so hopefully things will settle down quickly. Are your goldfish friends now that they put aside their differences? I was hoping they might be buddies eventually?

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yep! It's pretty funny because the fancy can't swim as well, she spends all day chasing the big one, lol. I got them some more friends, and they actually school together for quite a good portion of time, which is really interesting to see

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

there might be some nipping/aggression at first. but they are social and should get along.